Sunday, July 3, 2022

Sunday Stealing: Summery Things

 It's the middle of Winter here, so it feels a bit strange talking about Summer. Mind you, yesterday I was walking around in a bathers (swimsuit) and a robe, going from pool to pool. Yes, I was at the hot springs and the water is warm, but that is as close to getting hot in nature as we will have for a few months. I also have a feeling summer is a very different experience in Australia to what it is in America.

Let's see. 

Oh, and Happy Independence Day to those American readers out there. 

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing

 1. Favorite thing to do during the summer?

Oh, other than sitting in a beer garden or going to my favourite beaches for a swim - in Summer I tend to hide out in what ever air conditioning I can find. In the height of Summer, I'll often be found at the movies.Exercise is done early in the morning before the heat sets in. But summer for me means pubs with beer gardens and bars at night, with outside areas, and beaches during the day - when I can. 

2. Favorite cold food/dessert/drink that gets you through the summer heat?

Give me an interesting salad, ice cream and a gin and tonic (preferably an astringent gin, like Bombay Sapphire or Four Pillars - a good dry gin). That will keep me happy. 

3. Gone to a drive-in movie

As a child, yes. We went to the drive-in often. It's something that's making a comeback here in Australia. I remember seeing Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo at the drive in - and I have a feeling Dad took me to see my first Bond Film at the drive in as well. 

4. What are you planning to do this summer?

I have no idea - Summer is five months away...

5. Did the pandemic ruin any summer plans? If so, what?

Not really, other than over the Pandemic a lot of the theatres and swimming pools were closed, so I couldn't escape the heat like I normally would. Mind you, I went down the beach a bit more. 

6. Rode on any water mobile (jetski, ferry, boat, etc)

I'm a great lover of boats and ferries and will take those methods of transport when I can. From memory, the last time I was on a boat was in Sydney when I went and took a ride on the ferries - I love taking the ferry in Sydney - it's the only way to travel. 

7. Gone to a summer camp

Nope - Summer Camp is something Americans do to their children. 

8. Been to any Asian countries (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite?)

I've been to the following Asian countries. 

  • Indonesia (Bali)
  • Thailand
  • Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Hong Kong.
I love Bali as it's cheap and accessible. I love Malaysia for the food, Thailand for the culture - particularly on the mainland and up in the mountains, and a used to adore Hong Kong, but it's changed a lot in the last few years. If you want, you can count India as an Asian country too (well it is a West Asian country by some standards) I've been to India too. 

I really want to go to Japan, Vietnam and Cambodia to see Angkor Wat. 

9. Been to any African countries (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)

No. Never had the chance, though I did offer to go to South Africa with Jonella to see her mum a few years ago - didn't eventuate. I'd like to go to Morocco, for the archtecture, Egypt for the pyramids and Kenya or South Africa for the wild life. 

10. Been to any North American countries (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)

I've been the United States, but only to Los Angeles, New York, Boston and Philadephia. I'd like to see a lot more - but I'd also like to go to Canada, and visit my uncle in Mexico - if you count Tijuana as Mexico. 

11. Been to any South American countries (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)

Not yet - but Chile (and the Galapagos Islands), Argentina, Uruguay (a friend would never forgive me if I didn't go) Brazil and Colombia are on my wish list. It looks like a fascinating place. 

12. Been to any Australian countries (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)

Okay, we need to revamp this question, as Australia is a country in it's own right - but there are no Australian countries, unless you want to count the Christmas and Norfolk Islands..., but we're a part of the Pacific group of countries. 

I live in Australia. I've been to New Zealand many times - it's like going to another state of Australia with nicer people, cooler weather and less combative politics. 

I'd love to go to Tahiti and Fiji, given the chance - they look like great places to take a holiday. 

13. Gone to a festival/fair

I've been to a couple of festivals over the years - Adelaide is the city of festivals so it's hard to miss them. The last one I went to was a few weeks ago - the Rising Festival is an arts festival around Melbourne. As for fairs, they're not a thing in Australia - probably the nearest thing is the Royal Shows they have here, which have animals, amusements, competitions and the like over a week. I haven't been to a Royal Show in years. 

14. Gone to an amusement park

Other than Universal Studios in Los Angeles and Seaworld on the Gold Coast in Australia, no. That's it. 

15. Binge watched 5 different TV show series (what were they)

I binge watch a bit. Favourite include: 

  • Fleabag
  • Lucifer
  • Suits
  • Younger
  • House (love House)
  • Mad Men
  • Everything I Know About Love
And as I have a week off, I'm thinking of binging Stranger Things. I haven't got to that yet, but it may be just up my alley. 

Today's song: 



3 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I love doctor shows and loved House until I realized he was doing such expensive tests for simple illnesses and his love life was too complicated, so I stopped watching

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I was curious about how you would answer "Been to any Australian countries" given that you live there.

Hee Hee Hee

;o)

Cheers

PM

Roger Owen Green said...

Yay for air conditioning!