Let me introduce you to some friends of mine.
This is my favourite leg press.
This is one of the TRX bands and the cardio area.
These are the ski ergs.
This is my favourite lat pull down machine. My favourite bar, with the V grip has been stolen. I loved that bar.
And this is the sled track and the battle ropes.
And this is the studio where they hold classes. I contemplated going to BodyCombat this morning, but there was about 40 people in the room. But I did say goodbye to the instructors, who I've known for years. Until around two years ago I was in here most Sunday mornings - but the heat, the crowds and the noise all did my head in a bit too much.
I think about the great people I've met here. My trainers over the years. Ricardo (Pinochet), Ivan, Dave, Mani, and now Jack, who've all helped keep me on track.
There's the guys on the front desk. Nic, whose been on the desk for an age, is currently in Edinburgh Comedy Festival, taking her one woman show about being a receptionist at the gym to the world. (She's awesome).
I think of the many friends I've made here.
I love the community spirit of this place. That people regularly stop for a chat, say hello, egg you on. There's the people who've become actual friends outside of the gym.
At midday tomorrow, this all ends. They're closing down.
I didn't know I was going to feel so emotional, but this place has been and extension of home for nearly 20 years. It's safe and convenient - and the parking is good.
Sure, I have a new gym to go to - where they have all these machines, and it's 5 minutes' walk from the front door and quite a few people will be going to the new gym because the alternatives to go to the fancy gym off Church Street are not palatable (Too many posers, shit parking and you get stuck behind a tram two journey's out of three.)
It's the end of an era.
I'm sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment