Monday, August 3, 2026

What I Learned at the Gym Tonight

 Here are the facts:

1) I am walk fit. I can walk all day. I love walking. I'm also a reasonable lap swimmer when I put my mind to it. 

2) I am strong - and years of regular work outs have made me this way. 

3) I used to be a runner, so I know what it is to be cardio fit. 

4) I am a realist. (You might think me dippy, but I am a realist - really). 

Tonight, I had a session with Cleo. Jay is overseas on holiday, so it was just the two of us. Cleo in Barcelona, me, here in Melbourne bluetoothing her into my zygomatic arch and temporal processes (the joys of bone conduction headphones - I love them).

We had a good session. Today was leg day. It's always leg day with Cleo, but this was a big leg session. 

We talked last week about my idea of seeing a new trainer for a month to work on some cardio techniques. 

Kam, the trainer at the other gym, which I've signed up to for a few weeks, has set me a pre-session workout. 

"Until we meet up next Monday, go into the gym, get on a treadmill and for ten minutes, set the incline to maximum and walk uphill. Just for ten minutes - it doesn't matter how fast you go. It just has to be uphill."

Hmph. 

I've been catastrophising for the last few days thinking I was going to fall off the treadmill, hence procrastinating and avoiding the gym. 

Tonight, after seeing Cleo, and hence my body was all warmed up after far too many leg exercises, I hopped on said treadmill. 

I haven't been on a treadmill for ages - I prefer the ski erg and the elliptical. But I got on, scared but hopeful. 

When I was seriously running, I'd warm up at a speed of five kilometres an hour and run at around eight to nine kilometres an hour. This was years ago. A good decade even. 

Tonight I found out the following. 

1) The incline on the treadmills at Fitness First go up to 18 !!!!

2) I was walkming at about 3.5 kilometres an hour. 

3) I lasted three minutes before I gave up, panting like I'd run 300 metres for a tram with a full backpack. 

I feel soooooooooo unfit.

But this is why I'm doing this. Mix things up, get new ideas and get my cardio fitness into a better state. I know it's going to take increments and time and consistency. 

You have to start somewhere. I'll tackle the treadmill again tomorrow night. Ergh. 18. The treadmill incline goes up to 18. That's effing ridiculous. 

Today's song

No comments: