Movie Number 29 of 2026
The Movie: National Theatre Live: Les Liaisons Dangereuse
The Cinema: The Nova Cinemas, Carlton
Runtime: Three hours (with a 15-minute interval)
Stars: 4.5
When I heard that England's National Theatre were going to do Dangerous Liaisons I was looking at how I could get a ticket to London to see this. I've always loved the movie with Glenn Close, John Malkovich and Michelle Pfeiffer. I have dreamed of seeing this on stage. I would have loved to have seen it with Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan in the lead roles. What got me about this production was Lesley Manville as Madame de Merteuil and Aidan Turner as Valmont. SWOON.
Anyway, as I didn't win lotto, seeing this at the Nova as a part of the National Theatre Live series was the next best thing. I'm still very envious that two friends got to see this live, but seeing it on the big screen, without people chewing, being too tall, coughing and all the other things theatre audiences do, was a good thing. This was three hours that went very quickly. I loved it.
Was it perfect - No, but it was a wonderful adaptation of a modern classic. They've taken Christopher Hampton's script, tweaked a little, made it a little more pacy and the actors got on with the job.
The story doesn't change. IMDB's blurb reads "In elite society where patriarchy rules and reputation matters most, one mistake can ruin a woman. Marquise de Merteuil survives through cunning control. With Vicomte de Valmont, they weaponize seduction until alliance turns to rivalry."
What's great about this is the costumes and sets, which are sumptuous. There are set dance pieces throughout the play, which help it transition from scene to scene.
Lesley Manville is fabulous as the truly evil Marquise de Merteuil. She steals every scene she's in. Aidan Turner is good as Valmont, but it's almost a little too likeable to play the role. He lacked the depth that Rickman and Malkovich have given the role. This is not to say he's bad - far from it. I also enjoyed the performances of Monica Barbaro and Hannah van der Westhuysen, who played Madame de Tourvel and Cecile de Volanges. Both were excellent.
I'm so glad that the National Theatre film these so that the world can see these wonderful productions. Yes, I'm sad I didn't get to see it on the stage in London, but this is the next best thing.
This is playing in Arthouse cinemas at the moment. It's worth a look.
No comments:
Post a Comment