First night in the new gym. There were feelings of trepidation and grief. After, I remain hopeful.
One of the issues of going to the same gym for nearly 20 years is that you know where everything is, how everything works and what to expect. You also have to remember that it's not the same place.
Jay was at the old gym today as it closed its doors at midday. I said my goodbyes yesterday.
Onwards, I say.
And yes, things are different. The machines have different set ups, things are in strange places. There are few bouncy medicine balls, but heaps of dead balls. (I hate dead balls). The feel of the machines are a bit different - of course they are. The leg press bench isn't as padded, the lat pull down machine felt a bit strange. There are fewer mats. Stuff, which will work itself out with a few sessions.
It also felt busier than the old place but considering they've taken on a lot of people from the old gym, it's to be expected.
I saw a few familiar places around the place. Another trainer from the old place was showing around a client. We smiled at each other. Familiar faces are gold.
And after a 45-minute session with Cleo, I have the sense that this place will be okay. I love that they have reformer beds with inbuilt video lessons - I'd like to try Pilates but can't be bothered with the expense. I like that they have yoga at 8 pm on a Saturday morning. I like that their cardio room looks over Victoria Street.
After this session, I went two doors down to meet up with my boxing trainer, for another half an hour of punishment.
This was our third session boxing. I'm getting back into the swing of things. I love this interval training lark. Okay, after a 45-minutes of weights, it might not have been the most sensible thing to have done, but I lasted well. Sure, my arms felt like they were going to drop off at the end of the session, my legs a little wobbly, but I did it.
An hour and a half and 500 calories later, I stumbled home.
I think I'll sleep tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment