Saturday, February 15, 2020

Making Pancakes

Making pancakes is allegedly easy.

You need:

  • A cup of flour
  • A teaspoon of baking powder
  • A cup of milk - (Cows or your non-dairy favourite - for me it was Vanilla Almond Mylk)
  • An egg
  • Butter for the pan
To make:
  • Sift the dry ingredients in the  food processor
  • Add the milk/mylk and the egg and blitz till smooth
  • Grease a frying pan with a little butter
  • Put a puddle of batter in the pan, cook until brown on both sides
  • Repeat. The first pancake never works out.
  • Serve with whatever you wish. Best eaten hot.
I don't make pancakes very often, but as I've got limited cash and access to funds, ice cream is not on the cards - so pancakes it is. Because everybody knows, the best way to treat a bit of emotional fragility is with carbohydrates and sugar. I don't want to medicate with gin. I want the option to pop a sleeping pill if I need to and the ones I have do not mix with alcohol at all. I just want the option if I can't sleep. A drop of lavender oil on the pillow normally does the job, but bets are off at the moment.I'm being kind to myself.

After yesterday's events I've been keeping strict tabs on myself. 

How am I? 

To be honest, I'm a little fragile. But I am okay.

It's been a busy day.

Cards are pretty much all replaced - just the medicare card to go, but I'm not in a place to face the My Gov website. (Actually, I just did this now - it took five minutes, surprising for anything to do with these bloody government agencies).

The morning had me returning Craig the soap guy's tablet. The fact he loaned me this and $100 and the tablet to use for phone calls makes him a legend. I'm working out ways to give him something back (maybe a batch of biscuits - I make good biscuits.)

The phone's sim card was replaced within five minutes at Telstra.

The gym card was replaced in even less time. 

Jay's given me a spare Myki card of hers. I can get to work on Monday. That can get sorted then.

The phone was a bit more tricky. After visiting Harvey Norman at Richmond where I was informed they can only sell me an iPhone on an Optus plan, I went out to Chadstone and visited the Harvey Normans there. Half an hour later I was in possession of an iPhone 11. I got a red one. It might go faster. It's also on six months interest free finance. 

I called my insurance company. I've upped my insurance to cover the phone and contents of a normal handbag.Unfortunate this incident is not covered by insurance. At least I now have peace of mind. 

So the afternoon was spent setting up the phone, re-establishing apps. I got to 5 pm when I realised I'd only had a cup of coffee for sustenance. There was steak, onion, mushrooms and spinach in the fridge. Easily sorted. 

But going to Victoria Gardens, the local shopping centre, was a bit daunting at first. It felt strange. I was a bit on edge - not badly so - it wasn't debilitating - but it was unsettling. The feeling passed. This might take a bit of time. I didn't park where the incident occurred. But that's okay. The jitters will pass.

There have been tears. Not many. Nothing serious. I look at them as getting out the emotion that doesn't need to be there. I tend to cry why I think about the fact that I live alone - and it's time like this I wish I didn't. I'm allowed to feel sorry for myself for five minutes. Then I get on with it. 

It's all a matter of letting the shock and trauma out - which is thankfully is minimal. But it's there. And I'm acknowledging it. 

And that's the first step in healing. 

Tomorrow is a new day.

I'm not sure I'll get through this month's book group book in time. I have to front up at the new job on Monday morning.

I'm upright, I'm healthy, the knee is feeling better. It's okay.

It will just take a little time.

Today's Song: 







No comments: