Monday, February 24, 2020

What do I read next?

Short one tonight - I need some sleep.

I finished my book tonight - and I feel rather sad. I've been slogging it out over this book for a fortnight. It was supposed to be read by Tuesday night for book group, but life conspired against me. Regardless, by the end of the book, Amor Towles A Gentleman in Moscow, had become a good friend. As somebody who doesn't read much popular fiction, and after a slow start, this became a good friend. I loved Count Alexander Rostov and his tribe.

They're gone now.

The next book group book is 10 Minutes, 38 Seconds in this Strange World by Elif Shafak. However Blarney has my copy and I won't be seeing her for a while - well at least until the weekend after next, and because of this, I need to find something else to read for the next ten days or so.

Here's my current short list - with some pros and cons.

1)  Bruce Pascoe - Dark Emu

Pro: Non-fiction, not too long, Australian, met the author (many years ago), I have it on my kindle.
Con: Not sure I'm in the place to read about pre-colonisation agriculture practices.

2) Jeanine Cummins - American Dirt

Pro: Dymocks book of the month, allegedly the new Grapes of Wrath, supposed to be fast paced and action filled.

Con: It's a bit thick. It's polarising Goodreads.com (never a bad thing)


3) Eimer McBride - A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing

Pro: It's on my kindle. Stream of consciousness. Not too long. Experimental writing.
Con: Stream of consciousness. Experimental writing.

4) Gail Jones - A Guide to Berlin

Pro: Recommended by one of my book group. Not too long. Nearly made book group last year.
Con: Not on my kindle.

5)  Joan London - Gilgamesh

Pro: Not too long. Liked another of her books. I'm rather fond of the Sumerian legends thanks to many years in dream group.
Con: May trigger some things like the Sumerian legends.

6) Ann Patchett - The Dutch House

Pro: Not too thick. I liked Commonwealth
Con: Not on my kindle.

As you an see, being on the kindle is a big pro - it's light and portable and fits in my bag easily.

I'm also aware that I start school next week - I don't want to get into anything to heavy just for the moment.

We'll see where I land.

Today's Song:




No comments: