Sunday, February 9, 2020

Thought Provoking Questions

I'm just back from Adelaide so I'm a bit tired. After a weekend of driving, showing some friends around, swimming at the best beach in the world and going to a big party this afternoon I'm actually more than tired - I'm exhausted. But I have an hour and a half to get my questions in. It's going to be a quick one.

So here we go.

Questions, as always, stolen by and provided by Bev at Sunday Stealing.


1. Is it more important to love or be loved?

To love. If you love, somehow, some way that love will be returned.

2. If you had the chance to go back in time and change one thing would you do it?

Ah yes, there is one thing. It was a night in about 1998. I don't want to go into details. I still wonder what might have happened is the events one one evening were different.

3. If a doctor gave you five years to live, what would you try to accomplish?

Write a couple of books. Lose some weight. Travel to all the places I really want to go to.

4. What is the difference between innocence and ignorance?

Ignorance is when you willfully disregard something which you should know, or have learned and you still disregard it. Innocence is when you've had no opportunity to know or learn something. It can be a very fine line.

5. What is the simplest truth you can express in words?

Trump is a dickhead. Can't get much simpler than that.

6. What gives your life meaning?

Friends, cats, food, books, writing, fun, swimming.

7. Can there be happiness without sadness?  Pleasure without pain?  Peace without war?

Yes and no. You need to see to not so good to really appreciate the good. It's a sliding scale. But you do need a little of each extremity to really appreciate the other. Pleasure and pain is a really interesting dichotomy as well. 

8. What’s the one thing you’d like others to remember about you at the end of your life?

That I was a good, kind, albeit quirky person - and a really good writer who wrote lots of books and all is good.

9. Is there such a thing as perfect?

No, but there is very good, great, grand, just right for the moment and enough. Perfect is a bad construct out of mathematics.

10. What do you love most about yourself?

My brain. My eyes. My ankles. That I will anything a go once.

11. Is it more important to do what you love or to love what you are doing?

Unfortunately there has to be a bit of give and take here too. Doing what you love is great - if you can get it. But if you love what you're doing it can make up for a lot of things.

12. What do you imagine yourself doing ten years from now?

Dream state?  As a successful novelist, I'd have a house with a back yard, writing books and living with my husband and our two cats and a dog. That would be grand.

13. What small act of kindness were you once shown that you will never forget?

Sounds a bit strange, but when my Dad died, I was alone in London. I had friends around, but no family. It was a hard time. A friend brought round some joints for me to smoke if I wanted to. She would come back in a week and take back anything I didn't take. I had one or two joints. It was a small thing in a very hard time. It meant a lot.

14. To what degree have you controlled the course your life has taken?

In the last few years, I've directed a lot of my live. Before that, not as much. I'm glad I've continuously kept educating myself and learning new skills.

15. If you looked into the heart of your enemy, what do you think you would find that is different from what is in your own heart?

Probably not, then again, I don't have enemies, real or perceived. Waste of energy.


Today's Song:

n

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I really hope you write that book...and get to live the dream!

Mimi Lenox said...

Maybe all writers are a bit quirky. It keeps people interested. Write those books.

Aussie said...

As someone who has read your earliest proto-books, I can guarantee they are great ideas that will morph into great novels. Write those books, Pand.