Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March Check In - April Goals


Well, that was a month and a half it has been - it feels like so much longer than this - in may ways it feels like the world is no longer the world that we know.

Victoria is now on Stage Three Lockdown, so we can only go out to get some brief exercise, go to the shops for essentials, see a doctor and that is about it. I am very glad I have Lucifer around the house. I know he's just a cat, but he's very good company, even if he does wake me up demanding breakfast most mornings.

Anyway, it's goal setting time.

Here's the March check in and the April reset.


1) To take lunch to work every day (except when I'm meeting somebody for lunch. 

While I was at work in the office, this happened. Since I've been working from home for the last two weeks, this is a bit of a moot point as I make my own lunch - sometimes sharing lunch over a video call with friends. Fun, eh!

2) Continue on the elimination of dairy, gluten and sugar.

I've not been great. Changes in the environment have meant a bit more ice cream has been eaten in total despair - but this has been rare. Being at home, I don't buy in crap, so it has not been a complete waste of a goal. To be continued.

3) Write down everything I spend

I've managed to do this. I've had a few more outlays than expected e.g. an office chair, a monitor etc, but I'll keep doing this as it keeps me in check. I spend too much on Apple products and eating out. Mind you, in lock down, this should go down a lot.

4) Complete a Park Run.

Didn't happen as they shut down Park Run before I could go. I have done a couple of laps of the Tan track and done some bit walks. Nearly, but not quite.

5) Read four books.

I've read three and a half. I'm halfway through American Dirt by Jeanine Cummings. I also read:

  • Foster by Claire Keegan (For school)
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World by Elif Shafak (Extraordinary book)
  • Allegra in Three Parts by Suzanne Daniel
Nearly acheived.


6) Lose two kilograms (at least)

Didn't happen.

7) Get 10000 words of the new novel done.

Half done. Up until Friday we were unsure if school was going ahead, along with the rest of the turmoil which March brought us - it is - we're now doing it online over Zoom - first class tonight. Really looking forward to getting back to it.

Now for April's goals. And I'm scaling these down a little due to the lockdown - as we've been old we've got this for the next month at least - I say it will be two to three months.

1) Get 10000 words of the new novel done.

Now we have school back - and Easter, there are no excuses.

2) Participate in Writers Victoria Flash Fiction every day.

It's 30 words - its not going to kill me - good for the observation skills. I did it last year and loved it. It's done on Twitter and only takes a few minutes.

3) Get in a 30 minute walk in every day.

The gym is closed. Heaven knows how much longer I'll be able to see Cleo - and Jay is reticent to go for a walk with me, so walking by myself it is. I also have a fit ball, a theraband, a yoga mat and a few other pieces of gym equipment that I can use around here - but I need to make sure I get out of the flat. I'll go mad otherwise.

4) Read four books this month.

I like this goal. Will do it again - nearly made it last month.

5) Work on my flexibility. 

Something good to do while I'm stuck at home. I'm not very bendy in a physical way - maybe some yoga exercises / stretches and the like will get me moving a bit better

6) Write down everything I spend

The key here is to get the discretionary spending right down. This keeps me accountable. It's a good goal to do.


Today's Song:


No comments: