Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The Coronavirus Questions

I normally do a Q&A on Sunday - I've done it for years, but today - I'm going to set the questions - and answer them. Why not? It's all anybody is talking about at the moment.

I might send them over to Bev at Sunday Stealing - I'd love to hear what the Americans are doing about this at the moment.

So here they are - the Coronavirus questions:

1. Has the COVID-19 affected your work environment?

Hells yeah. I am somebody who likes going into the office - I'm now predominantly working from home. It's isolating. I'm thinking of getting a cat to counteract the feeling of isolation. Seeing this could be the case for months I think I will be getting on with this cat hunt on the weekend.

2. How are you feeling about the Coronavirus?

I like to think I'm being alert, but not alarmed. For the most part, I'm getting on with things, trying to read up about stuff on offical websites, but also not getting overwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm lucky my family is interstate so I can't infect them if I end up with it. I've been trying to be very as careful as I can be.

3. Has anybody you know been tested / has it?

Yes. My sister went to the doctor with a sinus infection. Though she doesn't meet Victorian testing criteria, her doctor tested her for it. Possibly after mentioning we have a 79-year-old mum who comes down to iron for my sister. Mum is not allowed near the house until she's got her results and /or gone through quarantine.

4. Do you have any friends stuck in any exotic locations?

I have one friend walking the Camino in Spain. Allegedly she's having a great time. I've also got a friend stuck in Argentina - she's hoping to get out on Friday, then it's a fortnight's quarantine in New Zealand, followed by another fortnight quarantine when she gets back to Australia. Fun....

5. Have you changed any of your personal habits due to the pandemic?

Hugging and hand washing. I have a tendency to hug my friends. We to tap now. And I've always washed my hands, but never before to two round of "Aga Doo" or "Mr Brightside".

6. What is the craziest thing you've seen or heard about the outbreak?

I've heard some churches saying that people's faiths will keep them safe from the virus.... Ummm no. I've also heard some stuff about 'herd immunity'. Not sure a virus without a vaccine can do this.

I'd still like the anti-vaxxers amongst us to agree to go over to Italy at the moment and see how they go.

7. Do you think our politicians are doing enough to curb the crisis?

Ah, no, but I'm not horrified with Australia's response. I think they're trying, and there have been a few things that could have been done earlier. I'm just glad I'm not in America - but saying that, Trump has been coming out as sort of Presidential in the last day or so.

8. Have you stockpiled anything because of the crisis?

I've not hoarded anything, but I've got a little bit more in, which I've gradually collected over the last few weeks - pasta, eggs, an extra loaf of bread - but I've certainly not gone overboard. I bought a six pack of loo paper in Sydney when I was up there, three of the rolls were donate to Blarney when I got back to Melbourne. There are four of them in the household and they're running low.

9. What do you think you will miss the most if you are subject to a lock in?

Fresh air, exercise, going out, movies, theatre, friends, hugs. Then again, the reading and writing I could get done....

10. What is the weirdest rumour you've heard about the virus?

Everything from it started in a wet market in Wuhan to the virus came from a Chinese biological weapons factory. There is a lot of strange stuff out there.

11. Do you have a favourite meme about the virus?

There are some good ones out there, but this tickled my fancy.

Image result for coronavirus memes


This one is good too:

Image may contain: 1 person, suit, possible text that says 'WASH YOUR HANDS LIKE YOU JUST SHOOK HANDS WITH SCOTT MORRISON'

12. Has the virus made you grateful for anything?

I'm grateful for lots of things:
  • Having a full time, well paying job in an essential service (Utilities company)
  • My friends
  • My sense of humour
  • For the sense to not stockpile in great amounts of food
  • That I can work from home
  • That I'm not in a high risk group
  • That the gym is still open (just)

13. Have any of your plans been upset by the outbreak?

Hells yeah. Other than killing my love life dead for the foreseeable future so far things that have been cancelled:

  • Book group
  • School (though we're hoping to get this back and online soon)
  • Theatre
  • The Pixies Concert
  • The Alanis Morrissette Concert
  • Football where you can go to a game
  • Meditation may be done online from next week.
And I'm sure there's more things, but all of these things have left me a bit gutted. 

14. Are you planning do to anything different because of the COVID-19 outbreak after it is over?

I don't know yet. I do know that being in semi-lockdown its a good chance to get the diet on track. I think I will be going outside more once things become safer.

15. What do you hope to see in six months time?

A happier world with as few deaths as possible and a health system which is not struggling.

16. Has the Coronavirus affected your mental health?

In a small way. I'm monitoring myself closely, reaching out to friends and making sure I don't feel too isolated. I'm two days in working from home and I'm already feeling a bit nuts. Hence the procuring of the cat. It's being monitored closely.

17. Do you have a song with which you wash your hands to for the required 30 seconds?

I mix them up a bit. Songs I sing while washing my hands include:
  • Aga Doo by Black Lace
  • Mr Brightside by The Killers
  • Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones
  • Emotional Rescue by the Rolling Stones
  • Rubber Duckie by Ernie
Today's Song: (And don't forget to wash your hands)


2 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I will have a go at answering these questions next week (if not picked up on Sunday).

Great questions and answers. The hoarding thing baffles the buggery out of me. SOme people are just arseholes. Panic buying has spread to lots of countries - there is plenty to go around. I don't get it.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Pandora Behr said...

Hey PM,

I've sent these along to Bev at SundayStealing - I'd love to get an American view on this.

Take care,

Pand