Wednesday, January 3, 2024

One More Day

 One more day. Tomorrow I pack the car and get everything ready to go back to Melbourne, trying to go back at an early hour, but knowing I am at the mercy of my recalcitrant cat, who is having an awesome time chasing bugs, sleeping in an armchair and wanting to go outside my granny-flat-cum-reclaimed-shed-cum-country-hideaway. It will be up to him as to whether I get going at 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. He is a prick. He will be the last item to go into the car. Oh what fun. 

Today was friend’s day. There was a coffee date in the morning and dinner with another old friend tonight. 

First item of the day was a drive down to Willunga to meet up with my old French teacher. I feed the need to at least buy her a coffee, as it was she who did a great job in teaching me how to learn languages. She fostered this happy, and rather natural polyglot. She helped knock the worst of my Australian vowels out of what is though to be a pretty good French accent – well, it doesn’t offend the French. I remember her being a friend and confidant while I was at high school. 

And it is nice to be able to say thank you. And to reconnect with an awesome person after so many years

We sat and chatted in a coffee shop for a couple of hours. It won’t be the last time we meet up – this is something I like a lot.

Willunga has also gone a lot more up market since I went to school there in the eighties. 

After a quiet afternoon at home, needed to try and get the last of this cold out of my head, it was off to the Silver Sands Beach Club for dinner with another friend. She’s the one I normally go swimming with in the summer mornings. This time, we opted for dinner. 

After checking in with the folks and saying hello to the kangaroos on the front lawn, I made my way down the hill. 

It was a quiet night, spent putting the world to rights, chatting, eating some of the best prawn cocktail rolls (think lobster rolls) I’ve ever had. 

After dinner, we went down to the beach and dipped our toes in the water, before coming home. 

And the day was done. My heart filled up as I’m lucky enough to have friends who love a catch up. The friends that you don’t see for an age, then they slip on you like an old cardigan. It’s fun. It’s lovely. And it’s what life is about. 

All I have to do now is pray the cat will behavine on Thursday morning. 

Today's song:



No comments: