Wednesday, January 17, 2024

SBS World Movies

I'm finding great comfort in SBS World Movies at the moment. Channel 32 on the proverbial dial (or punch 32 into your remote as we have been doing for the last 25 years). There is something about a channel which plays some of your most favourite obscure movies without any fanfare, or reason. You just know that the station has been carefully curated and the movies new movies come to play on a weekly basis. 

While I was home with my parents, I found great solace in the station. I had something to go back to. I discovered films I hadn't seen in years. 

Films like Made in Dagenham. Gotta love a bit of Sally Hawkins. 

They had the gorgeously hysterical What We Did On Our Holiday. Yes, I know, another British film, but it's got David Tennant, Billy Connolly and emu and a breeze block. It's delightful. It's got one of the best dysfunctional families I've seen in ages. 

The other night, I sat down to Their Finest, a film about the propoganda office in London during World War II. Gorgeous film. One of the best twists ever - that will leave you crying. It's also got Bill Nighy in it. He's, of course, playing Bill Night, but still. Lone Scherfig's direction is superb. And yes, Sam Claflin plays a skeeze with a good redemption arc. 

And tonight, to top things off, I found myself tuning into The Big Chill (1983). I haven't seen it in years. It has one of the best soundtracks ever - I know I had the tape in my car for years. Fun fact about this film. Kevin Costner plays the corpse. Allegedly there were some scenes shot, but all we see of him is his arm in a suit and his wrecked wrists. Hmmm. William Hurt is his sarcastic best in this. Such a good film about friendship and loss. 


Regardless, this little-known station on terrestrial is helping me to keep my head above water at the moment. It's good to know that you can find some quality getting out there to the masses. Then again, on Sunday Weekend at Bernie's and Time Bandits are on. 

And yes, I know, SBS Online has some of the best films available to stream. I dig into that on a regular basis too. It's great for French films. 

Best get ready for the trip to Adelaide tomorrow. 

In the meantime, I bring you a song from The Big Chill. How can you not be happy singing this? 

Today's song:

No comments: