Thursday, January 4, 2024

The Pilgrimage

Being back in South Australia means I will participate in a pilgrimage of sorts. While in Britain, I actively hunt out cathedrals and get my spiritual fill of these ancient stone buildings. I France, I was searching out Steak Tartare. Seeing the Victorian nanny state is poised to ban this incredible delicacy, I thought it best to search out the stuff, giving me a diet of raw meat for about two weeks. 

In South Australia, I seek solace in the humble bakery. Preferably in the country, however Adelaide has many traditional bakeries in the city which provide more than adequate items such as pasties, Kitchener Buns, Frog Cakes, Boston Buns, Finger Buns (with sultanas in them – non of that Baker’s Delight rubbish) and snot blocks. 

I’ve been here for a week. I’ve had a pasty three times over this week. It’s a cellular need to have a pasty. I love them. 

And then there was the desire to go to one of the most hallowed places on the bakery pilgrimage trail. The Port Elliot Bakery. (Check out the Socials section down the bottom of the front page)

This outfit is a bit legendary. As legendary as the Home Grain Bakery at Aldinga, which is always sold out by 1 a.m.

The other draw card to the Port Elliot Bakery is that they do a pie of the month and a donut of the month. 

Pies are not something I eat, but donuts. I’ve been checking out their donut of the month for a long time. This month, it was a Cadbury’s Marvellous Creations donut. A standard ring donut, cut in half, filled with chocolate crème pâtissier, iced with chocolate, sprinkled with popping candy and smarties and with some sort of caramel sauce.

One word for it would be diabetes. The other, cholesterol. 

But as a one-off treat, it needed to be done. 

I also don’t queue for food as a rule, but I did today. Thankfully, the bakery is very well staffed and the people behind the desk know what they are doing. They have a system that works. The queue moved quickly, and knowing that I wanted two of these amazing donuts and two pasties (so Mum and I could have lunch when I got back) and I found some very nice looking shortbread for a present for Mum, it was all good. I didn’t bother to get a coffee there. The queue was out the door. There were other coffee shops around.

And so I drove the 20 minutes back to Mum’s place. 

We heated up the pasties, which were exemplary. 

And shared on of the donuts because it was far too much for one person to eat as one. It was divine, but half was enough. 

And I have another one which I can take back to Melbourne with me tomorrow. 

My pilgrimage is done, my soul sated. 

It’s time to go home. 

Today's song: 

No comments: