Tuesday, April 23, 2024

The Money Date

 I'm getting into the financial literacy course and starting to enjoy it. I know that years of working in banks has put me off anything to do with money.

The course is doable. Relateable. It's got me thinking. 

Then this morning, when I was doing my daily homework, our leader came up with something to do. Set a money date with you friends. 

Yep, get your friends together and talk about money, investment strategies, what you're doing with your money... and I slammed my laptop lid down and wanted to scream. 

I won't be doing this. 

I'd happily sit with a group of women on the course and discuss concepts, tactics, opportunities and the like - but not with my friends.

Sorry - this thought is so ingrained. 

You don't talk about money. 

There are a lot of reasons for this. 

It's too much of a contentious discussion. We never talk in actuals about money. We might talk in circles about money, but it's not done to talk about hope much you make. 

And you never discuss your salary. I was around at a friend's place the other day. She'd recently got a new job - and admin role at a company near her suburban home. She was up for another role, but she was very happy to be given the one she got because it was paying $5000 more than the other. She let the salary slip. About half of what I make. And sure, I work corporate jobs with a bit of stress - but I'm fairly compensated for my skill set. I said nothing. I couldn't. I wouldn't. 

The other thing, after seeing it so often working in investment banks - sharing tips with your friends can lead to a lot of bad blood. Saw it too many times in the early noughties. Not going there. 

And the last thing - I don't want my friends judging me. They judge me enough. I judge me enough. I don't need more judgement. At least I can say that I am not in debt. Even paid off that awful speeding ticket. 

I was surprised by the vehemence of my reaction to this request. 

I might do it. 

But I reckon I'd have one of these money dates with a people from the course. Like-minded people. People with similar goals. People who are in a similar place to me - which with this course, is pitched at single and divorced women. Which is why I'm doing this. 

Still, I won't be talking investment options with friends. 

Just no. 

Today's song: 

No comments: