Monday, April 22, 2024

Upstart Crow

 I love a good tip off.

So, after a meh sort of day, where nowhere near enough got done, a couple of messages from a friend helped things out. 

And what was this revelation? 

A documentary series on Shakespeare. It's called Shakespeare: The Rise of a Genius and it provides a look at Shakespeare's life from the time he went to London, the lowly son of a disgraced glover, to the playwright we all know and many love. 

This documentary is brilliantly produced, lovingly rendered and fascinating. There are elements of Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet, another brilliantly researched and lovingly worked piece of art. 

And this evening, instead of writing this, I've been sipping on some magnificent cherry gin watching my Shakespeare documentary and I've calmed the hell down. 

And all is well with the world again. Who knew a little bit of Shakespeare would sort things out. 

By the way, does anybody want to come and see A Midsummer Night's Dream, being done by Bell Shakespeare, in the next few weeks. They're playing at the Fairfax from 24 April to 11 May. Let me know. 

I'm going to savour the last episode of the series tomorrow. It is so good. 


Today's song: 



1 comment:

Carmel said...

I would if I was closer!