Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Blog-a-Day May: Day 28: Something for others

I’m not sure what made me do it, but I've signed myself up for a five kilometre run at the end of July.

I've bemoaned the fact that I’m not running any more. I’m over weight, and  well over my running weight. I've had the flu. I just miss being really fit. So this is the next exercise challenge. To run five kilometres by the end of July which is really a doable challenge if I train smart. I know what to do. My legs know what to do. My lungs will have to be reminded what to do and all should be fine. I’m not putting a time limit on this, just turn up, do the run and go home.

I’m also going to raise a bit of money for charity on this mission. I had to think long and hard about this. I have friends and family with MS. Thankfully they are all doing really well. I have a friend with this dreadful thing called Myelofibrosis, but he’s okay at the moment. I've given a lot to breast cancer over the years. We have ovarian cancer in the family. All brilliant charities to run for.

However this time, the choice came to me within minutes. I've set up a website to collect money for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, a charity that provides advocacy, aid and advice to recent Asylum Seekers who make it in to our country.

I am deeply shamed at the way Asylum Seekers are treated by our government, particularly those who are harboured in concentration camps in Nauru and Manus Island. Like all people, I don’t want people drowning at sea making the perilous voyage across the sea to Christmas Island funding unscrupulous people smugglers– however, we do have a responsibility to treat all Asylum Seekers with respect and dignity and ensure that they processing is thorough as well as compassionate. That we are locking up minors is even more shameful. That these people have no recourse to counselling, education, medical or legal assistance, even worse. That a man has died in our care. That many other are suffering in squalid conditions is appauling.
 It’s contravening so many basic human rights and international laws.

Anyway, off my soap box. If you’d  like to sponsor me, please click on this link. The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre does brilliant work and they make the most out of any donations they receive.

Looks like I’ll be hitting the treadmill from now on.

And once again, if you have a few dollars to spare and would like to sponsor me, follow the link below:


Cheers,

Pand

No comments: