Monday, June 7, 2021

Lemon butter

Lockdown: Day Eleven

Mood: Over it. 

Making Lemon Butter, or Lemon Curd - depends where you come from, is easy. 

Simple. You need: 

  • Two eggs
  • Two egg yolks
  • 160 grams of sugar
  • 80 grams of butter
  • The juice and grated rind of two lemons

You put the sugar, eggs, egg yolks in a small saucepan and whisk them together. Then you add the butter, lemon juice and lemon rind in with the egg and sugar. Placing the saucepan over low heat, continue whisking the mix until it thickens - don't leave it, just keep gently whisking the mix - takes about 5 minutes. Once thinkened, strain the mixture into sterilised jars. It keeps in the fridge for about a fortnight. 

Lemon curd lasting a fortnight in my fridge?

Never. Three days if I'm really lucky. 

They say it's good for cakes and pie fillings. Sure... I remember my grandmother making very good lemon meringue pie when I was a kid. It was the best. Lemon meringue pie is my favourite of favourite desserts. Actually anything lemon and sweet goes down well with me. 

I offered Blarney and Jay a jar if they wanted some. Blarney had never heard of it (Poor, poor Blarney). Jay said yes to a jar, but she had to get COVID tested, so she was going nowhere and I wasn't going to interrupt her quaranitining while the test results came in. Besides, it doesn't yield that much after you strain it... why share it?

So I'm stuck with two one jar of lemon butter. 

This morning, I found that lemon butter is wonderful on toasted crumpets (or grumpets as a friend of mine calls them - I can't have them without thinking about this and smiling)


And this will be breakfast for the next couple of days. Grumpets and lemon butter.

My life is just so hard and horrid. (Not)

Lemon butter really is the perfect salve for the weary soul during this lockdown. 


Today's song: 

No comments: