Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Photo February Day Eight

Myponga Moon, 2007

I know this isn't the greatest of photos, but I remember taking it and I'm fond of the place where it was taken.

My mum used to have a Bed and Breakfast in Myponga. A straw bale cottage, decked out in a lovely, country style, a little patch of paradise just south of Adelaide.

When my uncle passed away a few years ago, Mum had a bit of an epiphany and decided to sell the cottage.

But before she did, I got to stay down there just one last time. 

One of the great things about Myponga is that it's just far enough away from Adelaide that the city lights don't impact on the night sky as much. The stars are amazing down there. When I was there the other weekend it was a moonless night - for the first time in ages I got to see the Milky Way in its glory.

The other thing about the cottage was that it was tucked behind a big hill, with cypress and poplar trees lining the summit.

This photo was taken at ten at night. It was a glorious evening.

I miss seeing stars. Real stars and lots of them.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

That shot captures the magic of a night sky well. I hope you get to see more of them soon. I find them incredibly healing.

Kath Lockett said...

Ah yes, stars.....

Flinders Rangers is probably the best place in the world for stars, but I'm sure that your spot in Myponga would come pretty close.