Friday, February 17, 2012

Photo February Day Seventeen

Supermarket Finds, Jahor Baru, Malaysia, 2010

When in a new country - or another country for that matter, a trip to a supermarket is mandatory. Wandering the aisles, checking out products and prices is great fun.

When in Malaysia 18 months ago, my friend took me shopping. My eyes were opened. Brilliant.

Fresh out there in the aisles, on ice, for your own selection. No waiting at the deli counter for the surly bloke with the banana fingers to grab your piece of whiting with a bit of plastic.

Different types of poultry. My friend couldn't tell me how they got the chicken black in colour it - was it grown that way or was it dyed. I don't know, but it looked strange. Then again, I think the yellow corn fed chooks look odd.
Shoot Condoms. What does one say to that?
Drypers Wee Wee Dry nappies. That one had me shaking my head. Oh, and the prices are in Malaysian Ringitts, which made me feel a bit better.

I can't find the photo of the bags of Bunny Love Carrots. I love pondering the the strange flavours, the odd types of snack foods., the odd looking fruits, comparing prices.
Brillant fun! Then again, little things keep me amused.

If you're never been to a supermarket in a foreign country - give it a try. It's some of the best entertainment you can find.

3 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

One place ...

China

I will say no more.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Elephant's Child said...

Argentina and Nepal were both joys. Thank you.

Kath Lockett said...

Love it!

I always enjoy looking in food shops when travelling - some of the brand names are hilarious. "Kickapoo - the original joy juice" is a regular in Malaysia and Singapore and tastes like Passiona.