Monday, February 27, 2012

Photo February Day Twenty Seven

From the kitchen window, 2006-2012

I make jokes about living on the crappest street in the best suburb. This is not too far from the truth as my street is semi-industrial abnd my kitchen window overlooks a fish processing plant. This, however, is not the worst street in my suburb - I'm told that the street that contains the needle exchange is worse. And where I used to live near the old Channel Nine studios was not that good as you got The Footy Show yobs trawling for parking once a week. There's also another street on another part of the suburb where there are shoes over the power lines at regular intervals which scream, "Buy your drugs here!" My street is not like that, though we do see cops raid the house just down the road regularly - the stench of marijuana and chemicals is pretty apparent. We find used syringes around the place from time to time - but living inner city for nearly twenty years, I'm used to that. That's what rubber gloves and newspaper is for.

Okay, I'm blase to some of the perils of inner city living - junkies are one of those perils - but if they don't disturb me, I don't disturb them. If you don't look too hard, you don't see it.

Like the fish factory. Other than throb,beep and hum of the odd forklift early in the morning, it doesn't bother me. It doesn't smell. They don't operate it in the evening or on weekends. Everything is frozen. It's fine. It keeps the rent down.

On the good side of things, sometimes when I look out the kitchen window, this is what I see.

Yes, I know the window needs washing - but waiting for the body corporate to get the window washer in is like waiting for Tony Abbott to get a social conscience.Never going to happen.The ugly net curtain has gone too - replaced with a decent wooden blind.

Sometimes I can overlook the fish factory for much lovelier things.




4 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Aw, I miss seeing the 'loons flying over Flemington....! Apart from the doorbell and cats (or squirrels here), they were the only things our dog barked at.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Crikey - I don't think I've ever seen a hot air balloon from any windows n any houses I've lived in.

Unless you count the Blimp that parks itself above Old Trafford (the home of Manchester United) sometimes on match days.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Elephant's Child said...

Now this is a co-incidence. My last post was about the joys of watching the balloons takeoff. A wonderful inspiring start to the day.

Jackie K said...

Wow - beautiful! Well worth the fish plant.