Sunday, February 12, 2012

Photo February Day Twelve

Great Ocean Road, past Apollo Bay, 2009

This majestic coastline is a place I need to explore more. It's truly wonderful - an exceptional part of the country, and I've only been there once.

Glen Waverley took me for a drive one day on a cool and blowy early Winter's day. A favour to me - and in part because Merijn gets car sick and Glen Waverley drives like a hooligan and I'd never been there I got to sit in Merijn's spot while she was home with the cat.

It was a great day.

Picking me up at the crack of dawn, we made our way down to Geelong, where he put the roof of his car down and we drove for most of the Great Ocean Road in the open air. Thank goodness for scarves - convertibles and long hair really don't go.

It was a really wonderful day for me - I got to knock off another thing on the bucket list. Other than cranking the Discovery Channel Song up to eleven on the way through Apollo Bay (and I wanted to brain him) and not being allowed to drive - even though he borrows my car when he needs a sensible car - one capable of hauling hime a few bags of groceries - because he really does drive like a hooligan - still we didn't come to blows. It's hard to bicker when the scenery is so wonderful.

There are so many places around the state I haven't seen, so many places to go. I've never been to Wilson's Promontory, Philip Island, Sorrento, Marysville.... I have been to Daylesford, but just for the day - never stayed over. I haven't been away on long weekends anywhere. The last time I was in the Grampians I was a child.

Most of my travelling in Australia  is done driving to and from Adelaide once a year - with the odd trip to the Dandenongs or down to the Mornington Peninsula.

It's one of the things I want to change about my life. I want somebody I can go places with and enjoy them.

Is that too much to ask when there's scenery like this about. Going alone on road trips should only be done when the travel is necessary - not for fun.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

The Great Ocean Road is a joy and a delight. Thank you for reminding me. It is time I went back.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Bloody Hell - Never heard of The Great Ocean Road so I had to ask my good friend Mr Google.

And some of the photos (including yours) make the place look fabulous.

I really need to venture Down Under again. And you beautiful country is so huge that I simply can't imagine what it's like to live there.

Better start saving up ...

:0)

Cheers

PM

Kath Lockett said...

GOR is a terrific part of the world. Go see all of it - every weekend you can. Single, attached, with a mate, whatever.