Wednesday, May 26, 2021

What a great night for an eclipse

The sky is clear. After the sprinkling of rain that blighted my lunchtime walk, the night is clear and crisp. Crisp enough to have the cat snuggle under two layers of his blanket. Crisp enough for me to have my ugg boots and oodie on to keep me warm (saves putting on the heater). But that makes for brilliant eclipse watching weather. 

The eclipse started around 7.45 tonight.

It will be a full red moon eclipse at 9.11 pm (is that prophetic?) and starts to go out around 9.28 pm. Then in an hour or so after that, the moon is restored. 

I've been lucky. To see the eclipse all I had to do was go out the front door and look up. 

Eclipses are freaky - and fun. They're a must watch.

A couple of years ago I stood in the car park watching a lunar eclipse. My neighbour joined me was we watched the moon go from a sliver of white to a ball of pink. 

A few years before that, before book group, a group of randoms and I watched as the full eclipsing moon came up over the MCG - that was a stunning night. It was was of those balmy summer nights - and it was a great experience. 

Then I remember solar eclipses, which are just as freaky, when the shadows become cresent shaped and the sky goes dark. There was one when I was a kid. I was sitting in the dining room with my grandparents at the house at Myponga - I would have been around eight at the time. 

Then there was another. I was walking home from work in Adelaide. It was one of those hot, dry Adelaide days - and I remember the strange crescent shaped shadows that were come off the trees. 


No matter how often I get to see these phenomena, they always enthrall me. 

As a child, I wanted to be an astronomer. 

Now, as a journeyman astrologer, I see more in eclipses. 

Lunar eclipses mean big emotional shake ups, the uncovering of emotion. 

And staring down yet another lockdown, and hopefully a short one, I can see how this might manifest. That toilet paper is already walking out of the supermarkets. It's an omen I say (which reminds me, must put that on the shopping list). 

If we are stuck at home, may it be a short lockdown - a few days. 

Oh, and Mercury goes into retrograde at the end of the week.

Fun times...



Today's song:



No comments: