Monday, April 10, 2023

Bagels

One of my most favourite things about living in London was Sunday mornings. I'd get up, put some clothes on, run to the corner shop and get a copy of the Sunday Papers (The Times, The Guardian and The News of the World). Then, I'd go a few shops down to the bagel bakery and collect breakfast. This was in the time before coffee was a thing. 

My standard order was two smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels, freshly made, readily stacked and wrapped in cling film. From memory, this cost me about three quid. Then I'd traipse home, make myself a cup of instant coffee and go back to bed with the papers. 

I still dream about these bagels. They were the right texture of crispy and glossy on the outside, yet just chewy enough on the inside.. The smoked salmon was always perfect, and there was just the right amount of cream cheese (or schmear, if you're from New York). The bagels were just a little bit sweet. They were perfection and they always made my Sundays. 

I crave a good bagel. I'm heading over to London in September - and as the bagel bakery is still there, I'm thinking of making a quick trip to my old stomping group to see if they are still as good. 

Since being back in Melbourne, until recently, and unless you were in certain areas of town, good bagels were hard to find. Sure, if you're around Elsternwick, there's the wonderful Glicks. I'm known to pick up good bagels at Cafe D'Lish, a Jewish Cafe in Caulfield, which brings its bagels in from one of the local bakeries. And at a push, the Coles sesame seed bagels are great toasted. But not quite the same. 

Driving home from the gym today, after picking up some petrol, I spotted this new place on Burnley Street - Mile End Bagels. 

Bagels! Yay. 

Having driven past this place, I did a blocky, found a park and took myself in there. It was breakfast time (okay, it was nearly midday, same same). 


I was greeted by a stark, almost industrial space, which a heap of hipsters behind the counter. Hipsters are big in Richmond. My favourite eatery is around the corner. Hector's Deli is fantastic - but full of hipsters, and people queuing for their fix of hipster food.

Also, knowing hispsters, the coffee was going to be bang on and although expensive, the food wasn't going to skimp on quality. It was worth a try. 

After a quick chat with the girl behind the counter, I found out this place has been there since August. I never noticed it. I drive down Burnley Street a couple of times a week - but rarely during the day. The industrial space is pretty non-descript. 

Then I saw the bagels on display. 

They've kept it simple. Sesame Seed. Poppy Seed, Rye, Oats, or Everything (which is a mix of all the seeds and grains). All the bagels are baked fresh that day. 


I was in. After perusing the menu I ordered a smoked salmon, caper cream cheese, red onion, and tomato in an everything bagel. Along with my wanker coffee (Almond decaf latte). 

At $16 for the bagel, it was a bit more than the ones I used to get down West End Lane. 

It's also more than the ones I make for myself with ingredients from the supermarket - which I do regularly. 

The service was quick. After a few minutes I was taking my precious home. 

And this is what I got. 

Sixteen bucks for a smoked salmon bagel. Well, we are paying the Richmond Hipster tax.... The same goes with other hipster eateries. Expensive, but good. 

I have to say, there was no way that you could eat this monster politely. As with Hector's Deli, they don't scrimp on the ingredients. And it was bloody delicious. 

The coffee, as expected, was well above average. Being a decaf drinker, I'm pretty picky as I know how diabolical it can be. This decaf tasted like regular excellent Melbourne coffee, so they get extra points for that. 

So, will I be back to this little gem I didn't know existed? Yes. But as a special occasion. It's a bit expensive. And really, I do a pretty good job making my own version of this using the Coles bagels (which are great toasted) and supermarket or deli bought smoked salmon. I also don't make them that messy. 

You gotta love hipsters. Take a classic and make them their own. 

Today's song:



No comments: