Saturday, April 22, 2023

Theatre Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

The Play: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

The Theatre: The Princess Theatre

Until 9 July. 

Stars: 4

Yes, this is the third time I've seen Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but in my defense, this is the first time I've seen the new version, shortened from two three hour plays to this abridged version, which was made necessary by the pandemic. 

I also got this ticket for $40 on Tix, a ticket app. I put myself in for the cheap seats lottery and was offered a single ticket for this matinee performance. I was thrilled to see the seat was in the third row of the stalls. 

Not bad for $40. 


So, how does the shortened version compare to the longer two play version?

Very well. 

I loved the longer, more involved productions when I saw them in 2018 and 2019. But it was a big commitment of time and money.

This was tight and slick. It's managed to keep the context of the two plays while upping the anti on the humour and pathos.

What came across to me most was the relationship between Albus and Scorpius, which was always one of the best things about the plays, but the shorter format put more emphasis on this. Gone were a lot of the overly long choreographed dances, replaced with small flourishes, which worked really well. For me, the actor who played Scorpius stole the show. 

Is anything missing from the longer versions? Not that I can think of or remember. The cast are still on point. The effects are still wonderful - and the shorter version means that some of these effects aren't laboured (The flue network comes to mind - people were coming in and out like an aged cat). The dementors, which fly about at the end of the first act are still terrifying. 

The other thing the shorter version provides is a performance that younger kids would be happier to sit through - at half the expense to the family. 

As this is going to be leaving the Princess Theatre on July 9, it's time to make those bookings and get to see this before it goes. The half-priced ticket apps and the $40 Friday lottery mean there are a lot of options to see this at short notice. It's worth investigating if you've been putting off seeing this because of cost. I hope to see it again before it goes. 

Then again, we can always wait for the movie...


Today's song: 

No comments: