Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Sunset Musings

 As humans, we hunt out things in the sky. 

Sunset is one of those things we seek out, partly because you don't know what you're going to get on any given day. I love this unknown element the evening (and for that matter, morning) can bring. 

I didn't want to go for a walk after work. I had book group at 7.30 p.m. The humidity has backed off a lot meaning it's a lot more pleasant to go for a walk - but still. I wasn't in the mood. 

Regardless, I talked myself into going for a walk, mainly to get some dinner from somewhere quick and easy. Instead of doing a lap of the Waterfront I went to the end of the road and looked over the Bay. Half an hour wasn't going to kill me.

On reaching Bicentennial Park, I was greeted with this. 


Calm water in the bay. A watercolour sky. 

I walked for about 15 minutes, walking along the cliff top, remembering that this place was bombed 70 years ago. There are memorials along the way. I found the outdoor gym equipment that could make for a decent workout, if I had the energy or impetus.

The dragonflies were out in force. I overheard somebody say that the dragonflies hail the start of the dry. I think they're gorgeous, even if they freak me out a bit. 

Then, as the sun was about to set, I found the USS Peary memorial. There is some history to be investigated here. I was more interested in the people watching as other had the same idea. People were waiting for the sunset. 

They didn't have to wait long. 


The colours up here are amazing. There's a touch of Turner mixed with the ochres of Drysdale - not that Russell Drysdale ever painted Darwin.

The sunsets can be dramatic. But not tonight. 

There was beauty in its subtlety.

One could say that there is always something magical about the sun rising or setting over water. 

The sunsets don't last as long up here. it gets darker far more quickly. 

Once the sun had dipped below the horizon, I started on my way back, dodging the dragonflies and bats, jumping out of the way of the nutters on scooters and the equally barking runners. People start to bring their dogs out for a walk at this time. 

People generally move more slowly up here. It's too hot to rush about. 

So I ambled back home, stopping every few minutes to look at the light and colour over the bay.

It was an absolutely, ordinary sunset, on an absolutely, ordinary evening. 

It still felt blessed. 


Today's song:

No comments: