Monday, April 17, 2023

Merv Hughes

Monday night is steak night at the Cavanagh Hotel

It's a Darwin tradition. And it's good. The steaks are superlative. 

So, we turn up at The Cav, after going for a walk around the waterfront and having a quick shower. It's not as humid as it was the last time I was here - it's actually quite nice. Still hot, but the humidity has backed off a bit. 

I decided against a steak, going for the barramundi. They had this rather lovely alcoholic ginger beer on tap, so I had a pint of that to wash down my dinner. 

I will say this for the crew I work with. They are lovely and they are inclusive It's great. 

During dinner, it was noticed that we were in the presence of greatness. 

Merv Hughes was at the next table. 

Merv Hughes?

If you know, you know. If you're over 40, you'll know. If you like the best of Australian Cricket, you'll definitely know.

The man is a bloody legend. 

Something people don't know about me. I used to be a cricket tragic. Not so much now, but when you're a child of the seventies, teenager of the eighties, you used to be all over the cricket. None of this 20-20 big bash crap. Give me test matches or 50 over one-day games. 

Games that our illustrious Merv used to bowl in. 

Some 30 odd year later, I find myself in a pub with Merv Hughes, a pint of alcoholic ginger beer in my hand and some very funny fan boy workmates going nuts. I would share the photos with you. Needless to say, these guys have huge grins on their faces as if they've met the Messiah. 

I'm far too shy to go up and say hello. I left him to his rib-eye. Many others in the pub, resplendent in their shorts and t-shirts and good thongs, didn't feel the same and went up to shake the great man's hand. 

On posting a remark on my Facebook page, some 25 odd people liked the remark. 

Dead set legend. He's been in a good paddock. The iconic moustache is still there. 

Me, I was ready to move on to the next phase of dinner - an ice cream from Johnn Johnns. Another Darwin institution. This ice cream shop is the bomb. I tasted some Black Magic (Vegan dark chocolate and coconut - tastes like an adult lamington) as well as some Baileys and Caramilk (more Baileys than Caramilk) before settling on an old favourite - Green Tea. 

My Wednesday night is set now, as I head to the Deckchair Cinema for its opening night. Tomorrow night is book group over zom. Late Thursday, I fly back to Melbourne. 

My lunch date on Wednesday is my old P.E. Teacher from Year Eight. We're friend on Facebook with some similar interests. It'll be lovely to see her. 

Life is good. Especially when you've been in the presence of greatness. (I would feel the same if I was in the same pub as Dennis Lillee, Rod Marsh (Bless him), Greg Chappell, Viv Richards, Ian Botham, or anybody else from those legendary cricket teams of the mid-80s. It really was the best time for cricket.)

Today's song: 

No comments: