"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Sunday, August 30, 2026
Movie Review: & Sons
Movie Number 33 of 2026
The Movie: & Sons
The Cinema: Palace Cinemas Kino Cinema
Runtime: 1 hour 59 minutes
Stars: 4
This wasn't what I was expecting.
I was expecting a pseudo comedy starring Bill Nighy being Bill Nighy. This wasn't that. I was expecting Bill Nighy to have his normal Bill Nighy character. I didn't get that either.
Neither of these are bad things.
The other thing that took me to this film was its writer, Sarah Polley. She's a Canadian writer and actress who always produces really interesting movies. This movie is adapted from David Gilbert's novel of the same name.
As I said, what you think you're going to get is not what's on screen. This is okay, if not a little strange in places.
I'm not going to pepper this review with spoilers.
What I can tell you is daffy, reclusive author, Andrew Dyer (Nighy) thinks that he's dying. To be honest, he looks pretty mad and decrepit. He lives in a huge house with his housekeeper. Gerte (Anna Geislerova) and son Andy (Noah Jupe).
Having this feeling of imminent death, he asks his older, estranged sons to come and visit. Richard (Johnny Flynn), a recovering addict who's sorted his life out, is trying to sell a script. Son Jamie (George McKay) is experimenting producing various media. Both sons have been alienated by their father's actions, that of being the conception of their third brother, Andy. Instead, they took the side of their mother, Isabel (Imelda Staunton).
I'm going to say nothing more of the plot - but it doesn't go anywhere you think it will go. Is Andrew mad? Possibly. Is the situation real? I'm not sure. It is a great film to watch? From a cinematic standpoint, yes.
The acting in this is great. An aging man. A fractured family dealing with a famous father and his actions. It's worth seeing just for this. And for a change, Bill Nighy gets to break out from his normal foppish roles and gets to really act.
This was unexpected and entertaining. You just have to run with the plot to really enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment