Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Today I was...

 11 a.m. I've been staring at a screen for two hours, a break was needed. 

I was in the office, sitting in my normal corral on the tenth floor. Corrals are good for focus. You don't have to look at anybody on the hot desks. The screens around the desk keep the glare from the fluorescent lighting at a minimum. A coffee and a wander were required. 

Of course, I left my desk with my headphones and phone. Work has now got an app which means your security pass is on your phone. I went down to the ground floor and looked at the queue at the atrium cafe. 

A walk outside was required. 

 I looked over at the shell of the shopfront that used to contain my favourite coffee shop. They used to do the best Melbourne Wanker coffees (my regular almond decaf latte) made by a team of Columbians. Loved that place. 

Opposite to the bunker is what I've referred to as the pretentious hipster joint. The coffee isn't bad, their Reuben sandwiches are very good, and they used to do evil donuts. The baristas wear leather bound aprons and most of the male staff have ZZ Top beards. Fucking hipsters. 

I went in. It wasn't too busy. I spied the Reuben, mentally noting that it would be there for another day. 

I ordered by coffee. 

- Hello, could I please have a large, almond, decaf latte to take away.

- Sure. What's the name for that?

- Batman. 

The woman behind the till was a little bit flummoxed. She/they looked me up and down, then grinned. 

- Excuse me?

- I'm Batman.

- Of course you are.

- Do you need me to spell it?

- Nah, I'm good. 

She/they punched my order into the POS system. I wished she/them a lovely day and waited for my coffee. 

A couple of minutes later I hear, "A Melbourne Wanker for Batman!"

- Yeah, that's mine, thank you. 

Always be polite to your barista. 

He/they gave me a quick once over and raised an eyebrow. 

I went back to the tedium that is software videos with a spring in my step. 

I think this will only work when you go to a new coffee place. It broke up the day. 


(Thanks to my friend's husband who says he's Batman at coffee shops all the time.)


Today's song:

1 comment:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Ha ha - I love it. I should try that myself. And I remember the old 1960's Batman series. I always thought that Batman was like that until I saw the movies and realised that Batman is quite a nasty person really.

:o)

Cheers

PM