Sunday, April 12, 2020

More COVID-19 Questions

Easter Sunday Evening.

I was hoping for something a little lighter from the Sunday Stealing questions - but it seems it wasn't to be. So I'm sitting here with a nice Negroni - 78 Degrees gin, Vermouth and Campari - with a splash of soda to open it up. I'm happy. My Easter tipple seeing I can't go out and see friends.

Anyway, here's this week's questions supplied by the amazing Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1 – What is something you are doing due to the pandemic that you normally don’t do? After the pandemic will you continue to so this?

I've always been a handwasher, but not to the level I wash my hands to now. I think I'll be keeping the 20 second handwash on a regular basis, particularly as I come in from being out. Mind you, I think we're going to have to keep rather sedate for a couple of months, so I may as well get used to it.

I'm also talking to people on video links a lot more. I'm quite liking this.

2 - What made you happy, sad, or frustrated today? List, all big and/or small, as there may be some of one or all of these feelings!

Today, for my exercise, I did two laps of the Botanical Gardens - about an 8 kilometre walk (A bit over four miles for those using the old measure).  This made me very happy. The first lap I did with Jay, keeping our distance, the second lap I did on my own. Just being outside was fabulous. It was a mild afternoon, overcast. Not too many people on the Tan Track. Loved every minute of it. Said hello to a lot of dogs - but I do this anyway no matter where I am.

3- What is one of the first things you will do when the pandemic is over?

Start hugging my friends again. Got I miss touch.

4 – Are you an essential employee or do you know someone who is? Is this affecting you in some way?

I'm not an essential employee, but I am working from home - most of the company is. I've been working from home for a couple of weeks now. My work computer comes out at 8.30 am - it's put away at the end of the day. As I'm working out of my lounge room, I have to keep these boundaries.

I've a number of friends who are medicos, in telecommunications and in retail who are all a lot more frontline than me. I feel very lucky to be cocooned in my flat.

5 – What are you doing to destress during this stressful time?

I make sure I get out of the flat for an hour every day for exercise, whether that is seeing my trainer (twice a week, in the park) or going for a walk.

I've also adopted a cat - his name is Lucifer and he is black and he is gorgeous. He's helping to keep me sane.

Ensuring I get to talk to friends during lunch breaks is also helping me keep on the straight and narrow - just keeping in communication with others all over the world is great. Spoke to Reindert in Colorado, Nathan in Essex and my Mum this weekend.

6 – Have you tried any new recipes during this time? Please share your recipe if you want to.

Nope, no new recipes to date. I made a cake for Blarney and Barney on Friday and took it round to them. ( We are allowed to make runs out to see people on compassionate grounds. Blarney is just out of hospital after an emergency operation. She's fine, but I'm helping with food, particularly sweets for the boys)

7 – Have you always lived where you do now? If not, how did you wind up in the place you currently live?

I've lived here for well over ten years. I've been in Melbourne for just over 20 years. I was in London before that, Adelaide before that.  When I was leaving London, I had to think about where I wanted to go. I made a list:

  • I didn't want to go back to Adelaide - family live in Adelaide - best not go back. Little work in what I do there too,
  • Perth was too far away from Adelaide
  • Darwin was far too hot and it has crocodiles and too far from Adelaide
  • Brisbane was far too humid and it's full of Queenslanders and too far from Adelaide
  • Sydney is full of arrogant wankers - its also too humid and expensive, though it is a banking and finance centre (Which is what I was doing in London)
  • Hobart is a bit too cold and there isn't much there. (Saying that, I'd love to live in Tasmania now - fabulous place)
  • Canberra is full of politicians and public servants
  • Melbourne is eight hours drive away from Adelaide, has a bit of culture and there was work for me.
Melbourne won.


8- Where is the last place you visited on-line?

I was reading the New York Times - I do that daily. I'm just glad I'm not in America at the moment, and I'm very thankful that Australia appears to be managing the COVID-19 situation admirably. To date, 60 deaths and about 6000 cases in a country of 25 million with the trends becoming lower daily. I know how very fortunate I am to be here. I feel very blessed to be here.

9- What is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you?

Somebody once said that I was a steam train. Solid, yet strangely beautiful, in a way that is constant.

At the time, I thought it was more because I was large and full of hot air.

10 – Tell me about the last photo on your camera (phone or real camera or both!)

This was taken on my walk around the Botanical Gardens this afternoon. We're finding a lot of toy koalas strapped to telegraph poles at the moment. I'm not sure why, but I thought this was cute.

Image may contain: outdoor




Today's Song:


6 comments:

Stacy said...

Hmm...I wonder what Australia's secret is? Those are amazingly low numbers for an entire country. Is everyone complying with stay at home orders and wearing masks? There are a lot who aren't here, but I know in my particular corner of Pennsylvania an awful lot of the cases seem to be in nursing homes.

Happy Easter!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Of your choices of places to live I have only been to Brisbane and Sydney - I liked them both.

People in the UK who live outside London hate the place. I quite like to visit there every so often but I am glad I don't live there.

One day I might make it to Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth. Might give Darwin a miss if it's full of crocs.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Me, Myself, and I said...

Your list cracked me up, lol. "Arrogant Wankers", "Crocodiles", and "Public Servants" in particular. I wouldn't want to live any place with crocodiles, either!!

Kwizgiver said...

Having a cocktail is a wonderful way to enjoy a day.

Nice song!

CountryDew said...

It is better not to be in the USA at the moment. We're not doing very well over here.

Lori said...

I hope this virus ends soon. I hate so hear how bad it is in New York. I do not live there, but of course it is big news in the states. Their population is just so dense and so many travelers. I live in the middle of the U.S. We are all shut down, but it isn't as bad as N.Y. Loved your answers! Have a Blessed Easter!

http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/