Saturday, April 11, 2020

Writing with Dev - Part Six

I'm having a novel day today. Sitting here writing a chapter of my novel, knowing that I have to send it off to the class for feedback and critiquing by midnight tonight.

But now is the time to get the blog out of the way so I can then not worry about the post and get on with the joys of finessing a chapter, knowing somebody who has won the Stella Prize is looking at it (and this is VERY daunting)

So, it's on with a writing with Dev session today.

Here we go, session six. And the first thing she talks about is being anti-feedback (and yes, I know I'm probably further along the writer chain than most people)

The link to today's class can be found here:

This is brilliant, you are awesome, keep on going.

And I'm used to feedback on what I'm writing - but again, I've been doing this for over 20 years - and I know how to garner feedback. This is why I go to class.

And still, it doesn't matter what people think.  (and I need to change the battery on the mouse).

Choose a prompt:

  • Money: Foreign Coins and assorted dosh.
  • Paint swatches: Stonnington Beige, Lucky Charm, Rum Orange, Grey Bonnet, Red Liquorice, Retro Gold
  • Old Ipod, peg, a mintie, pencil sharpener, glass heart, brooch
  • Randon little toys, smurf, frog, alien, lego crocodile
My choices: Vietnamese Dong, Red Liquorice, mintie, toy frog

She hated the feeling of coming back from holidays and the chores that presented themselves to her as jetlagged, she stumbled out of the cab, and into her neglected flat. Had she really been away for three weeks? Did she really have to pick up her cat from her friends? 

She pondered what she would do with the wallet full of Vietmanese Dong which somehow she's accumulted on the last day of the holiday. She hated coming back with currency, it seemed such a waste of money. But she had to split a large bill on that penultimate day. She didn't want to, but she was hungry, walking through the streets of Hoi An, drinking in the smells, the grandeur of the streets. She's needed a bowl of pho. She only had large notes. It was go hungry or come back with ten dollars in her wallet. She shouldn't feel cheated.

Looking in her cupboard, she tried to find sustenance. A bag of red liqourice sat on the shelves, open and half eaten. She was lucky the ants didn't get the stuff. Surely he would noticed that. Ants traipsing in and out of a cupboard. Maybe the ants didn't like red liquorice. She preferred it in liquorice bullets, covered in white chocolate - the type which Darrell Lea did so well. Ah Darrell Lea, such a presence in Adelaide when she was a kid. 

It was travelling which made her realise how much she was invested in Australia. How much she loved the food culture. How she adored the parochialisms which made her proud. She often took a packet of minties with her on these extended trips. When she felt a little homesick, she's pop a mintie and she instantly felt like she was at home. This holiday, she didn't crack the bag open. She was enamoured with the place. Never been anywhere like it. Although she was well travelled, Vietnam had taken her breath away.

She started to unpack her day pack, looking the the trinkets she's purchased over her time there. She like to buy little things, with no agenda to give them to anybody as souvenirs. A little toy frog she found at the market stall, a grass hat she bought at the airport. She liked to come back with silver if she could. She worse silver. Jewellery was always light and cheap. The enjoyed the different pieces she got over the years on holidays. She didn't intend to change this practice. 

-oooOooo-

Ah, yes, editors. Not ready for editors.

You can't yell at a flower. 

Oblique Strategies Cards: I bought the App. I have a few of these apps. The online version is great too. 

Write for five mintues on: Cluster Analysis

Okay, so what is my problem with writing this bloody novel. If anything, I have too many ideas, plus I've got what I'm learning in class keeping me on my toes. The ideas are find - and I'm discovering a lot in what I'm writing, which is often the best way - but then you want to do well at it. And I hate rework. I'm currently rewriting something I'd written for my Masters. It's really shite, but the ideas are still solid. Now, with the help of my class and tutors, I'm looking at how you construct a novel in a completely different way. We also have one of the tutors saying it's all in the sentence. I had David Malouf tell me the same thing some 20 years ago.,

I've got my Scrivener board out ready for ideas to take shape. Last week's class gave me a lot to think about character - and my main character is really just me, but with a bit more sass and chutzpah. I like the badinage of words that writing does for you.

But for tonight, I need to get 2000 polished words ready for class consumption.

Before that I may just mop the floors and feed the cat. 

Ah well.

Post done. 

Today's song:



No comments: