Tuesday, April 7, 2020

School Report

I'm sitting here with a large Negroni in front of me. There's a bit too much Hendricks in this one, but the muted nature of Hendricks means the Campari and Vermouth aren't overtaken. The ice clinks against the side of the glass, the condensation heavy against the rim, it's medicinal nature is comforting. The Hendricks gives a softer edge to the drink. I've been using Four Pillars Regular (though I really want to go up to Healesville and get a bottle of their Spiced Negroni Gin, because it is AWESOME - and I'd love to try it in an actual Negroni).

It's 9.16 in the evening. Not the morning. I'm not a day drinker - well not unless I'm out at lunch with friends.

The Negroni is a mandatory Tuesday night companion. I've just got off school. I need a Negroni to calm myself.

And it's not that school is bad. Far from it. School is wonderful.

School has fried my brain, assaulted the senses, made me think, made me feel, made me look at things completely differently and generally blown my mind.

We're being taught by two successful and accaimed novelists.

I'm in a class with eight other amazing writers, who are all great people. Fun, funny, interesting people with great ideas. People who challenge you, encourage you and have your back.

And I thank the universe for allowing me to get onto this course. I am learning so much. I'm hoping it will help me be a better writer.

But after a day at work, at the same desk where I work all day, an hour's break to get some dinner,  then another two hour of class - I'm buggered.

Class makes me think I might have something to say. It's like I want to yell my story to the world, while altering my perspectives all withing a half an hour lecture.

This is learning online at its best (though I'd still rather be sitting in the offices of Allen and Unwin in East Melbourne - I used to skip to school on Tuesday night.

But now, it is time to relax, and the medicinal Negroni is a required, along with the square of Whittakers Dark Chocolate with Ginger and Mandarin (YUM - but one square does the trick).

I am so lucky.

Bottoms up!


Today's Song




No comments: