Sunday, May 5, 2024

Comfort Dinner

 What is the dinner you have when you have done your food shopping but you don't want to have anything you've bought? 

You're not feeling the microwave dinners, as they are reserved for quick lunches during the week. 

You don't want to cook the chicken breasts in the fridge. They are for later in the week. Maybe tomorrow. 

You don't want pasta. The only pasta in the cupboard is chick pea pasta, the only jar of sauce possibly has an expiry date of a few years back - but the jar hasn't been opened, so it should be good to go. 

I don't want takeaway. I had a meal out last night, and Jay and I had our normal breakfast at a local cafe, where the service was crappy, but the zucchini and corn fritters were very good. 

And I don't want to get much in because I'm heading interstate next Saturday and there's no point in getting too much in. 

But I want comfort food. 

If there was more than me and the cat home, I'd make Sausages in Onion Gravy with Mashed Potatoes - it still is one of my favourite things to both eat and make. But I haven't made that for years, instead, going for the freezer meal version which isn't too bad - but it's not the same as my onion gravy, which is then pimped up with tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce - and lots of onions. (Oh,I wish I had somebody to make sausages and onions for - mashed potatoes for one just isn't a thing - and they are the best.)

I wanted something easy tonight. 

So, I went down the supermarket. I found a large potato; some cheese and some coleslaw. 

I baked the potato in the oven, grated the cheese, smeared a bit of butter inside the spud once it was cooked, and plonked the coleslaw on top. 

And it was magnificent. 


Today's song:



No comments: