Saturday, May 18, 2024

There are things I had forgotten

 There are things I'd forgotten, but have been reminded of tonight. 

It's been a long week, and in many ways, a hard week. This morning, for a few minutes, I was thinking "Why don't you resign." I was a fleeting feeling, and it left, and I looked and the monumental pile of impossible work myself and my colleague have to do, the breathed in, stood up, and went and got a coffee, and felt better. Why fret? It's just work. 

And just because the work feels like it has one of those Harry Potter doubling charms on it, doesn't mean it's impossible - just hard. You touch one thing, three other things spring up to join them. It's great. Not. 


Regardless, I finished something this afternoon, which for this week, was a bonus. I was the last one in the call centre. I took my bags and walked the 200 metres to the new hotel on the esplanade and checked in. 

After a short lie down, I found my bathers and went down to the pool, where I'd arranged to meet my  colleague. 

This job is very different to any other I've had. For one, giving the day a post-mortem in the pool is a necessary evil. It's the only role I can remember where I've seen most of my colleagues in their bathers. And I have no shame in putting on my swimmers and joining people - bugger the body image. I've always been the first in/last out of the pool person. Nothing changes. I get out when I start to prune. That's the rules. 

Making things even easier, my colleague and I have been mates for a couple of years. 

And the pool here is good. 

We got the stories of a hard week out of our systems. We both needed a bit of a vent. But once that was done, we settled in to being human. Even did the 'Hey, watch me do freestyle!" and I bobbed under the water and did a lap of the pool. Stupidly, I'd left my goggles in the room, but I'd forgotten how much I love swimming freestyle - doing laps. I'm not a fast swimmer, but I am competent. But as an adult, when was the last time you told somebody to watch you swim?

After a quick change, and a quick look at the sunset from Bicentennial Park, we went out for a drink at a local bar, where they serve a local Kakadu Plum gin. I rate it. 


After this, a lovely dinner at a local restaurant. 

Another beer was had. The conversation flowed easily. We know enough of each other's stories to not have to explain things to each other. We're both from the country. Both a little nerdy in an arty sort of way. Our politics align for the most part. Easy company. 

Then he walked me back to my hotel, stopping for an ice cream on the way. (Cold Rock Rum and Raisin, with a Caramello Koala mashed in for good measure in a kiddie cup - who knew?). 

And I had forgotten home much an easy night with good company can be for the soul. 

Today's song:



No comments: