Sunday, May 12, 2024

Sunday Stealing live from Sydney

 Sydney. Hotel room with a big bath. Check out in two hours and have to be on the Manly Ferry soon after that. I will be quick.

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing

1.    Write about the best decision you ever made. How did you make it? Was it reasoning or gut instinct?

That would be going on the writer's retreat to France last year. It was more expensive that I would have liked, but I loved every minute of it. Did me the world of good. The decision was heartfelt - if I was make a decision fiscally, it never would have happened. 

2.    What ONE thing would you change about your life? How would your life be different?

I wish I had a body that didn't love putting on weight so much. I think my doctor wouldn't rag me as much if it worked like that. 

3.    What is the hardest thing you have ever done? Why was it hard for you? What did you learn?

Learning to run was the hardest thing I ever did. I was told from a young age that I couldn't run because of my 'weak ankles'. Turns out they weren't weak at all. Running is all about conditioning and mind over matter. I learned a lot when I was running. 

4.    What is your greatest hope for your future? What steps can you take to make it happen?

I want to get that book published. I can do this. But I need to sit down and bloody do it. And find the time and energy to do it. Maybe I should have taken up the offer to see what Ritalin is really like. 

5.    If you can time travel, what will you tell your teenage self?

I would tell my younger self the following things: 

  • You are not as fat, ugly or stupid as you are told you are or you think you are
  • Things are going to get better
  • When you're offered therapy at uni, take up the offer
  • Start exercising daily - you are going to love it. 

6.    Write about the most glorious moment in your life so far.

I've been lucky, I've had lots of glorious moments. I remember getting something published for the first time. That was awesome. 

7.    What did you struggle most with today?

It's only early - I've only been up for a little while. But I'm thinking, do I go up to the shoe store and go find a new pair of white runners and leave my old soggy ones there, or do I just persevere?

8.    What made you happy today?

I bought some really good, really interesting fruit salad for breakfast yesterday. It was AWESOME. Simple things are good. Better than McDonalds any day (the other easy option from this hotel room as I'm not paying $35 for runny poached eggs).

9.    What did you dislike most about growing up?

I remember working out from an early age that women were treated as second class citizens a lot of the time. I hate that. I still hate that. Hopefully the ship is righting itself. 

10.    Write about 3 activities you love the most and why you love them.

  1. I love writing, because it is my vocation. It's not an easy vocation, but it is what it is. 
  2. I love reading, because it makes me realise that I'm not alone in the world. 
  3. I love playing with animals, particularly my cat, because even though I annoy the hell out of him, he loves me anyway. 

11.    What has been your best trip so far?

Again, I've had many great trips, but that Writer's Retreat in France last year was just incredible. I also won two tickets anywhere in the world fifteen years ago - five weeks, 7 countries. Loved that too. 

12.    Write a list of 3 things (physical or personality-wise) you love about yourself, and why they make you unique.

  • I am kind, almost unfailingly. 
  • I love all animals (okay, I will give chickens and rabbits a wide berth, but otherwise animals are great).
  • I have a body which is strong and healthy, which at my age is a very good thing. 

13.    Discuss 3 things you wish others knew about you.

I am on my own most of the time. It's 90% solitude, 10% loneliness. And this is okay. 

I have great difficulty asking for help. Just asking friends to come cat sit nearly kills me, but I know it's best for the lad - he would hate it in a cattery, particularly as he's a rescue and spent a lot of time in a cage before we found each other. (It was at a very good rescue centre, they looked after him, but still, I don't want him back living in a cage - he's my dorky boy, can't have that.)

I wish I knew about neurodiversity earlier. It's making such a difference to my life knowing that it's not just me - I'm wired up differently and this is okay. 

14.    Write about your top 3 personal strengths.

  1. In my astrological chart I have Saturn in Aries - it's basically a bullshit meter. I can sniff out crap a mile away. 
  2. I can do anything I put my mind to. But most Gen-X women can do this. It's ingrained. 
  3. I like to think I can see the good in almost everything. It makes life a lot easier being positive. 

15.    Is social media a blessing or a curse?

A bit of both. Probably more of a curse, but it can be fun. 

Today's song:



2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I lost about 30 pounds two years ago, then gained back 10 last year, and I've been stuck there pretty much since. Arrgh!
There's a lot of BS out there; I'm glad you have such an effective meter.

Kwizgiver said...

I'm with you--I have a strong BS meter.