Saturday, May 18, 2024

Sunday Stealing: Inspiration

 Note to self. Even if offered, don't eat duck. I like duck. Duck does not like me. And okay, if it's duck breast, I can get away with it, but roast duck, or duck confit, or anything else, avoid at all costs. After a lovely breakfast with my friend (and old P.E. teacher from 40 years ago) I had to race home. And I only had had a little bit. Two small pieces. 

Regardless of the runny tummy (which has abated - just have to get some fluids into me) I will have a good day. And I'm looking forward to going home tomorrow. It will be good to be back in the cool, rather than the tropics. It will be nice to be sleeping with the cat again - if he still loves me, that is. 

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. What inspires you the most?

Lots of things. Art. Kindness. Courage. Joy. Perseverance. Happiness. The human condition. You can find inspiration anywhere. You just have to look for it with open eyes and an open heart. 

2. How do you think the world will change in 20 years?

Considering how much the world has changed in the last 20 years I hate to think. I'd love to imagine a kinder, more peaceful, less antagonistic, more environmentally aware world, but would that ever happen? I can only hope. 

3. Cats or dogs and why?

I love both dogs and cats, but as the servant of one black cat named Lucifer, I have to say cats. I love their independence, their quirky personalities and their ability to empathise, even if they don't show that very often. Dogs are absolutely wonderful, but far more needy. 

4. What is the funniest memory from your childhood?

I can't really think of anything - I suppose driving a tractor into creek was pretty funny. I had a funny childhood, but more funny-peculiar than funny-humorous. But that is also indicative of being a child of the seventies. 

5. Where do you not mind waiting?

In the Qantas Club lounge at the airport. It's nice to be away from the rabble. A comfortable chair. A Bloody Mary. Liquorice Allsorts - it's a good place to wait for your plane. 


For those not in Australia, these are liquorice allsorts. 

6. What was the best thing before sliced bread?

The flushing toilet? Underground plumbing? The mangle?  No idea.

7. What product would you stockpile if you found out they weren’t going to sell it anymore?

Oh, I discovered this a few weeks ago. It's not that they don't sell it anymore, but the company doesn't ship my natural deodorant to Australia anymore (bastards). I love Native deodorant. I used to put in an order a year. So, if I have friends going to America, I ask them to bring back a few sticks. But I have found an Australian alternative, which I like a lot. Woohoo is about the best I've found that really works all day. 

8. What do you get every time you go grocery shopping?

Fresh fruit, bread and almond milk are on my shopping list most weeks. 

9. What do people do too much of today?

Doom scrolling. Get off your bloody phones and stop complaining you have no time. 

10. Are you a GoodWill, or any second-hand store customer?

Not really. The difficulty I find with second-hand stores is that they're not good for bigger sizes. However, at my writer's retreats, we have a trading table where people bring along their pre-loved clothes which we sell on and all proceeds go to charity. It feels good knowing the money is going somewhere where it will do good. And I've got a number of bargains there. 

11. How do you feel about the death penalty?

I don't believe in it at all. In Australia, we haven't had the death penalty on the federal statutes since 1972 - the last person to be executed in Australia was back in 1967. Looking outside of Australia, I think it's barbaric. It's not a deterrent, and it's too open to failure. Too many innocent people have been killed by the state. It's not for me. 

12. Are there brands of certain items that you will ONLY buy that brand? Ie paper towels, ketchup etc.

Yes. I will only buy:

  • Heinz Baked Beans
  • Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
  • Coke (never Pepsi)
  • Farmer's Union Iced Coffee (I come from the one place in the world where a milk drink outsells Coca Cola)
There are a few other things, but these come to mind. 

13. What are some things that you will buy the Store brand, and find the quality to be great?

Aldi chocolate is fantastic. Actually, Aldi has some quality brands. Not sure if you Aldi is in America, bit it is a lot cheaper than our two major supermarkets. But they put the chocolate in the first aisle as you enter the shop and I find this far too dangerous. (My local Aldi is in a dodgy part of the suburb too - another reason to avoid it.)

14. What is a Name brand item that really disappointed you recently?

Sheridan bed linen is not as good as it used to be. It doesn't last as long as it used to. 

15. Do you wear glasses or contacts?

I wear glasses for distance - have done for many years. I have to take them off to read anything on a page or screen. This is called getting old. 

Today's song:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

We do have Aldi in the U.S. (or at least in Alabama) and I stopped by there this morning! I really enjoyed your answers today!

Roger Owen Green said...

Yes, there are Aldi stores in upstate New York. Doom scrolling - good choice!

Faith said...

We have Aldi's here in the capital region of NYS but i rarely shop there. mainly because it's a bit of a drive from where I live in suburbia and also because they don't carry many of the plant based items I need. I do love their chocolate though!! and they're definitely cheaper for people who have to stick to a budget.

What'a mangle? I haven't googled it.

I would love to visit Australia one day.

Doom scrolling....that's a good choice...and I'm with you on the death penalty.

Allstarme79 said...

I totally agree that people waste time then complain they don't have any! I was a child in the 80s but sometimes wish I'd been a kid in the 70s because it was even more hands-off!