Thursday, January 23, 2020

Gone, but not forgotten

I have been a Monty Python fan for a number of decades. A bit late to the show, I got into them at uni. Their silliness always synchs in with my sense of humour. It always has, it always will.

I mean, how can you not giggle at this?


Monty Python has always made me laugh. It always will. I'm sure there will be Monty Python (and Young Ones) quotes at my funeral. It's a part of me. 

Hearing of Terry Jones' passing just as I was going to bed left me saddened, but the second thing to go through my mind was so eloquently said by John Cleese moments later on Twitter.


I expect nothing less from Cleese. I'd expect the same from Palin, Gilliam, and Idle too. 

It's what you do when your mates slip away, as Terry Jones has done.

Terry Jones was a big personality in a very loud mob. The short one. The one with the infectious giggle. Somebody you knew would be fun to go down the pub and have a giggle with. The one who didn't take himself too seriously. He loved frocking up. I mean, hell, he was Brian's Mum in the Life of Brian, one of the most quoted people on the planet. ("He's not the messiah - he's a very naughty boy... Now go away.")

Back in the noughties, he came to the Melbourne Writers Festival and spoke for an hour to a small group. He wasn't on holidays. If I remember correctly, he was in Australia on holidays and made time to do this. I just remember being a humble and very funny man. 

He talked a bit about Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book. A lovely book. In some ways a kid's book. You see, Lady Cottington wanted to prove there were fairies in the garden behind the potting shed, so she went out with a big book and trapped the fairies within the pages of the book. 

This is the result:



Yep, it's basically a book of squashed fairies. 

It is awesome.

I bought a copy and lined up to get it signed.

So I got the meet the man. 

Unlike Richard Flanagan and Louis De Bernieres, where I went full fan girl, I presented the book to him with some confidence. 

"And what's your name?" he asked.
"Panda." (Well most of my friends call me Panda - Monty Python is an old friend - why not?)
"Panda?"
"Panda. It's short for Princess Panda from Myponga. Panda will do." I told him.

He tittered and signed my book, handing it back with a wry smile.



This is one of my favourite memories and one of my most treasured possessions.

Vale, Terry Jones. Thank you for all the giggles over the many years. 

We've lost Clive James and Terry Jones this year. Who next? I feel like a little bit more of my formative years has slipped away. 

Today's Song: 






No comments: