Sunday, January 19, 2020

The High School Meme

This one is sort of apt seeing I'm going back to school in March. I've been accepted to do a novel writing course which is held by one of the publishers. The opportunity is too good to pass up. It's also at the standard of doing two Masters subjects - so it's a good addition to my skill set.

But first I need to find a job. I've got an interview on Tuesday - and the phone calls are coming in, so hopefully it won't be too long before all this comes together.

It's going to be interesting answering these questions as the Australian high school experience is very different to the American one. But we're used to this. Questions, as always were sourced by Bev at Sunday Stealing.

Your high school graduation class of: 1985

1. Did you marry your high school sweetheart? 

Hell no.

2. Type of car?

I drove a 1966 EJ Holden called Edna. It was this colour too.



3. What kind of job?

I worked at the local general store in the school holidays

4. Where did you live?

Myponga, South Australia

5. Were you popular in school?

Absolutely not.

6. Were you in choir/band?

I was in the band in the earlier years. We didn't have a marching band - no such thing in Australia at the time, but we did have a very ordinary concert band.

7. Ever get suspended?

No. Too obedient for that.

8. If you could would you go back? 

Hell, no,

9. Still talk to the person that you went to prom with?

We didn't have a prom culture - although in today's schools it appears to be happening. We had dances, but you just turned up - no dates (or getting dressed up or anything) required.

10. Did you skip School ?

No. It was also hard to skip school as 1) I lived 15 miles away from the school and the only way there was by school bus and 2) The school was in a town called Willunga and there is nothing to do there anyway.

11. Go to all the football games?

Again, no organised sport after school. I think we might have had an inter-school competition once a year, but these were played in school hours.

12. Favorite subjects?

English, French, Chemistry and Maths. I was a nerd.

13. Do you still have your yearbook?

No, not that it was worth keeping anyway.

14. Did you follow the "original" career path?

Nope. When I left school I wanted to be a French teacher. That went nowhere.

15. Do you still have your class ring?

American thing. No school jewellery to be seen ever. Some of the posh private schools might have something like that - a pin or a tie - but no school rings to be seen here in Australia.

16. Favorite teacher? 

My French teacher for the last two years was awesome.

17. What was your style?

Weirdo nerdy type. I relate to the Ally Sheedy character in The Breakfast Club.
the breakfast club dancing GIF

18. Favorite Shoes?

Oh the food fashions. Squeaky sandals in summer, desert boots in winter. You'd never find them on my feet now.

19. Favorite thing to eat for lunch?

Oh, Mrs Keane's (Tuck shop manager) double cut salad rolls that you bought at the tuck shop. These are a real Australian thing. A white crusty role, double cut with cheese, salad, gherkins. They were sublime.

20. Favorite band?

Australian Crawl.Oh 80s music was the best. Still is.

21. High School Hair?

Pretty much what I have now, just a bit longer and a bit redder. I rocked a Farrah Flick from year eight to year ten. (we had seven years of primary school and five years of high school where I come from - no such thing as middle school in Australia).

22. How old when you graduated?

17.


Today's song: 



3 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I would imagine that the Australian and British school experiences are the same or very similar.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Lori said...

I thought about being a French major also. I took it in college too. I love studying languages.
Ally Sheedy's character was awesome! Love it. Loved your answers! Have a great day!

http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Bev Sykes said...

Lots of French majors here! And none of us did anything with that.