Thursday, January 16, 2020

The Academy

Good things happen sometimes which make your head spin a bit. Things that you don't see coming. Things which could change the course of your life if you allow them to happen.

Something good, but completely mind-blowing happened yesterday and I'm still reeling from this.

4th of july party GIF by Lucifer

And no, I didn't find Tom Ellis in budgie smugglers in my flat.

Just after Christmas, I put in a submission to the Faber Writing Academy.  This was done on a bit of a whim. I have one novel which is nearly finished, one that is about 20000 words, which I started in the last year of my Masters. They wanted to see your writing history, a synopsis of your work and 1500 words of your writing. This took me an evening to do. Wrote it up, took the first two chapters of the novel and sent it off.

Three weeks later I get this in my email:

From: Allen and Unwin Faber Writing Academy

To: Pandora Behr

Dear Pandora,

We are absolutely thrilled to inform that you have been accepted into Faber Writing Academy’s Writing a Novel: Stage 1 & Stage 2 courses in Melbourne next year.

Toni Jordan and Paddy O’Reilly, our course directors, assessed your application against an incredibly competitive field and, like us, are excited to welcome you into the program.

Writing a Novel: Stage 1 commences on Tuesday 3 March in 2020. In order to secure your place in the course, you will need to pay a deposit by Tuesday 11 February.


AAARRGGGGHHH

I know I want to take my writing further. I can't not do this.

The course can be viewed as two Masters subjects in novel writing. It's industry based. It puts you nearer to publishers, agents and people who have written novels, which is an art in itself.

Paddy O'Reilly taught me when I was doing a Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing in the early noughties. She was one of the best teachers I've ever had.

On the not so good side of things, the course costs near on six grand. Thankfully it can be payed in installments. And I should have a new job in a few weeks.

It's also on a Tuesday night in East Melbourne. Thankfully I normally don't have much on Tuesdays, but I might have to forgo book group for six months. This is not something I want, but with 12 week terms, I can't not go to a class.

And if I do this, I'll have to go back into study mode and throw my everything into writing this novel.

But it is too good an opportunity to turn down.

Yet, there goes my free evenings and weekends for the rest of the year from March.

Ah, the things we do for our art.


On the other good sides of things, I've got an interview at an energy company on Tuesday and calls are coming in. The job will come.

It has to. I have school fees to pay.

I've also discovered Lizzo. She grows on you.

Today's song:



1 comment:

Aussie said...

You're right, Pand. You can't pass up an opportunity like this when the Universe presents it to you.