Sunday, April 18, 2021

From Facebook

I'm sitting here watching Prince Philip's funeral, thinking how sparce and strange it feels, especially when you compare it to the funerals of people such as Princess Diana (which I saw from the street's of London). Ah well, at least they have a good day for it. And the music is lovely. 

My head's in some strange places at the moment so I'm not sure how this is going to go. I'm in for minor surgery later in the week - nothing serious, but I'm taking a bit to get my thinking straight round all this. 

Anyway, on wiht the questions, provided, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. The best story your parents or grandparents tell about the good ole days.

My maternal grandparents were both born in 1899. They had some great stories about life during WW1. My grandfather used to work for the post office as a telegram boy. He went on to become a post master in many large regional areas of the country. He had some great tales. My grandmother too, being the youngest of six, she sent all around the country to look after her siblings children. It was a very differnt life back then. I can't put my finger on just one.

2. The best things in life are...

filled with laughter, joy, sunshine and cuddles. 

3, Things that drive me batty

Oh, there are many things that drive me batty. Here's a list:

  • People who put near empty cartons of milk back in the fridge
  • Putting the toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round
  • My phone running out of juice and not having a charging cable around
  • Bad grammar and spelling
  • Crowded public transport
  • Just missing a tram
  • Not being able to find my keys
  • Anti-vaxxers / QAnon types
There are lots more - but it's the little things that sent me to drink - I can do the big things well. 

4. A place I'd like to live and why

I could see myself living in Boston, probably around the Cambridge area. I was there about ten years ago and I really resonated with the place. A lot of me would like to be doing something at Harvard. It's just one of those dreams of mine. 

Other places I'd like to live include a picturesque English village, the South Island of New Zealand, Toledo in Spain and Paris - just because. 

5. The best thing I've ever found

Some of my ebay finds have been legendary. I've got my navy blue trench coat, a pair of Harley Davidson motorcycle boots and a pair of $350 hand made, Italian leather shoes - all snapped up for a song. I love a good ebay bargain. 

6. The best thing that happened recently is.

I found out today that I've won two tickets to the movie Six Minutes to Midnight from a local theatre chain. This is a very good thing, even if it is a little thing. Something nice in what has been a difficult week. 


7. I admire people who...

Go against the grain, march to the beat of their own drum, laugh and love a lot and get on with things. People who love with a full heart. People who don't mind being wrong. 

8. What makes me special

I don't really know. I'm old enough to know that I'm not special in any way, but I am kind and I'm sort of intelligent. I don't think that makes me anything other than ordinary. I like to think I'm a good person, and that is better than being special. 

9. I am looking forward to...

travelling once this COVID nonsense is over. I miss travelling - particularly travelling overseas. 

10. Things that scare me

Here's a list:

  • The rise of the religious right/ Right wing extremism
  • Our very, very incompetent Federal Government
  • Huntsman spiders
  • Sharks
  • Crocodiles
  • Open water
  • Enclosed, uncontrolled crowds

11. Complaints I have

Other than our very, very incompetent Federal Government and the rise of the religious right and right wing extremism, I don't really have complaints. I wish my lingering low grade shoulder injury would clear up quicker. I was very miffed that Hector's Deli had run out of Mushroom toasties this morning when I went to get one. I tend to whinge for about five minutes, get it all out then I'm okay again. 

12. I could never live without...

  • Friends
  • Laughter
  • Exercise
  • Ice cream
  • Gin
  • Animals - particularly my cat, Lucifer. 

13. Things that make me laugh 

I like to laugh a lot. Life makes me laugh a lot. 

But I've also got a very British sense of humour, so things like Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Blackadder, Black Books,  Drop the Dead Donkey and Not the Nine'o' clock News still make me laugh. (as does MASH, which hasn't dated at all).

14. What is a new skill that you would like to learn?

One day, when I have time, I would love to learn how to sing properly as well as play the piano and guitar and learn French and Spanish and to be fluent at the end of it. 

15. What brightened your day today? 

Winning those two tickets to Six Minutes to Midnight. Winning little competitions like that really makes the day better. I also got about a third of my book group book read, as well as a lot of housework. Winning. 

Today's song

5 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Re toilet paper, which way is the "right way around."

Jodi said...

I am so ready to go traveling again as well! Happy Sunday!

CountryDew said...

Apparently everyone's government is a major source of irritation.

Kwizgiver said...

I just want to go on a road trip. :)

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

#3 You wud never eva find me puting a toilet role on the wrong way in the lavatorie.

;o)

Cheers

PM