Wednesday, April 7, 2021

The Guilty Pleasure

 I'm catching up on the last two night's of MAFS (for those out of the loop, that's the terrible show Married at First Sight). 

And I'm learning things. 

Sort of. 

See, I've never really been a fan of Australian men. I freely admit this. And I do know there are good ones out there, but I'm yet to meet them. They do make good friends, for the most part, but as a partner? Nah. And MAFS is going to show every last trait which I just don't want or need in my life, which I've put up with and run a mile from over the years. It's a good reminder of things. 

But I did think Australian men were getting better - then again, you look at the people who go onto these shows and you have to wonder. (I also know that these shows are highly produced and edited to show the worst of people.)

Look at the current cast. 

There's Patrick. Poor Patrick. A bit clueless. He reminds me of the blokes I went through high school with, complete with the same hairstyle. As it goes, he's a bit gormless, but there's nothing to wrong with him other than he's a bit misguided (and would be stuck in the friendzone for years until he lost the puppy fat).

There's Jake, who appears to be a really good egg, but he's been placed with this rather overbearing woman, who seems to put him down and drown him out. Rather dishy with a compassionate soul, he appears to be the best of a bad lot. 

Brett is another one who I'd have as a friend. I'm not sure about the moustache and the hair, but again, seems an okay sort, although for a psychology student, he's not great on the empathy or the working with people - likes things his own way and not good at compromise. (Another Australian man's trait. Hmmm) But he and Booka have left the show - on good terms - and this I like. At least he showed some growth. 

There's Liam, now pegged as the bisexual bloke with the girl in pink. He's not been around for that long and again, he seems legit. His bride did ask him as a part of the tough questions they had to answer, how would he cope without cock in his life. A good question if you're looking to remain with somebody who's bi. 

Johnny the theatre producer seems a bit vanilla for me. Again, a nice bloke, set up with a bubbly girl. Nothing odious, but nothing to write home about either. 

Thankfully a couple of odious tools have left already. That bloke who was just there to be on telly, giving his 'wife' no time at all, going off without any regard, showing her little respect. He's gone. And the FIFO cum Clothing Brand Owner who, despite being nothing to write home about himself, who was hyper-criitical of his exuberant, yet perfectly lovely wife. Goneskis. 

But that leaves the two rather problematic men. The ones that if you come into contact with really, you should be running from quickly and in the other direction. 

There's Jason (or as Clementine Ford calls him, Jizzon) On the surface, he fine. He's good in bed, and proud of it. But when he gets jealous of her vibrator - yeah... nah... If he thinks your vibrator is competition, he's got an overinflated ego.Doesn't he know that you have cock for one thing and a vibrator for another?  He's allegedly big into loyalty and trust, but he won't give second chances and he sulks. Sorry, mate. Grow up. 

And there's Bryce. Bryce is a gaslighter - which watching this play out on national television, is quite triggering to watch. He uses all the well known techniques. Isolating his partner, putting things back on her, making her doubt her own sanity, speaking over his partner, 'for her own good' and if this wasn't enough he's an incendiary, moody wanker. Love Bryce. I just feel sorry for his on show partner, who seems to be a sensitive soul who's fallen under his spell and is struggling to get out from it. She's looked miserable from the day dot. I think his come-uppance is coming tonight. 

But why do I watch this drivel? 

Well, it is a guilty pleasure. I'm also very aware that there are always two sides to a story and the way the show is edited portrays many of these people in the a way the producers want them to be portrayed.

But as a friend of mine said, who refuses to watch the show, 'It's like they've taken every one of my loser exes and put them up there for me to see.' She doesn't need to see that. 

Part of me is liking learning from other's experiences. 

Today's song:


No comments: