Monday, April 26, 2021

Vale SCOBY

 My SCOBY has died. After 16 months of careful cultivation and faithful action, it appears that it's all gone ftmch. It is no more. It didn't do what it was supposed to. I opened by kombucha jar today and there was mould on top of the film. This has never happened before. Sorry, I'm not drinking that crap, not with mould. It wasn't looking it's normal self this brew. 

My SCOBY is dead.

And I'm very sad about this. 

I like brewing my own kombucha. I like drinking my own kombucha, rather than buying it. For the price of six tea bags and 170 grams of sugar, I have enough kombucha for a week. So much better than paying up to $6 for a bottle of the stuff. 

But now, no. My SCOBY is dead. It is deceased, it is no more. It has kicked the bucket. 

It has been a faithful SCOBY. It has had a rich and full life. 

But now it's in the bin. Ready for removal to that last great resting place - land fill (and we don't compost around here). 

Poor SCOBY. 

Now to find a new one. That is the next challenge. 

(A SCOBY is a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast  - it's as gross as it sounds, but it makes great kombucha)


Today's song: 



No comments: