Friday, September 24, 2021

Do Not Disturb

 I've done a trade with my manager. I worked this pointless public holiday and will have the Monday before Melbourne Cup Day in lieu. It's marked in big letters in my calendar so it won't be forgotten - mind you I have a month of holiday saved up which is never a bad thing. 

Anyway, it's a bit of a novelty working on a pointless public holiday. As it's only a Victorian holiday, the rest of the team was at work in Sydney - and a couple of the people I work with who are just as under the pump as myself were in. I made a bet with one of them that we'd talk at least once over the day. 

The day was clear of meetings. After preparing for the day and setting up the work laptop, I took myself down to Hector's Deli. They've changed the menu. They're not doing toasties at the moment - something about troubles with people milling around on the street waiting for their lunch. So no Mushie Melt was to be had. A new line of fresh sandwiches is now on offer. But the Roast Beef sandwich I ordered was exemplary. Allegedly a new favourite, it consisted of rare roast beef, sweet pickled onions, parsley vinaigrette, horseradish mayo and French’s mustard on our sourdough Turkish. Not a Mushie Melt, but divine in its own way. 



On arriving home I put on my Do Not Disturb flag on Teams and got on with it. 

The Do Not Disturb flag means that nobody can call you. Any calls go straight through to voicemail, or text. YES! I rarely use this feature, but it meant I wouldn't get numerous calls from my manager (who's in Sydney). 

It also gave me a chance to get through the 87 emails I found in my inbox. 

What fun. 

On the occassion when the manager needed to talk me me, she messaged me, and I got back to her. 

A very civilised state of affairs. I got more actual work done today than I have in a fortnight. It was great.

I think I will have to do that more often. 


Today's song:

1 comment:

Claudia said...

My workplace has instigated something called "Focus Friday", when we're encouraged to minimise emails and not book meetings. Probably most people won't do that routinely, but it's good to have that justification to tune out when necessary.