Thursday, September 9, 2021

The Lehenga

Finally, I've got it onto Facebook marketplace. 

The bloody lehenga. 

Lehenga? Indian wedding garb. A top, quite fitted, a very long skirt and a long scarf, also known as a dupatta.  It was bought in West Footscray for around $400 two years ago and worn once to Raj's wedding in New Delhi. And it's been sitting in the cupboard since I got back form India. Time for it to go. 

I bought the outfit for Raj's wedding. I think I spent more on that wedding clothing than I have ever spent on clothing in one sitting. The salwar kameez, which was bought on the same trip I like more. It's more me. Pyjama bottoms and a long tunic in a gorgeous midnight blue. I'm keeping that. But I'd like to be rid of the lehenga. I'm hoping Facebook Marketplace will help it find a new home. 



I've got many feelings about this outfit. To be honest, I really didn't like it, even though it's in my colours. And I didn't really feel comfortable wearing it. I'm not one for ostentatious dressing. I really hate fitted clothing at the best of times. The dupatta fell off my shoulders, as everything falls off my shoulders - cardigans being the main thing, but spaghetti straps often go south too. The fitting was fun. I don't like having fittings either. And being told I should have the top low cut with some of my midriff showing  and it should be tight. This didn't sit well with me. I also wanted it so that I could do it up by myself. It never hit me how much time and effort goes into being an Indian woman until I went to that wedding. We spent the afternoon getting ready. The hair, the make up, having somebody dress the dupatta, which took a lot of time and a lot of safety pins. And I wasn't wearing a saree - which took even more time - and heaven knows how you're going to go to the toilet in one of those things.

Regardless, I felt awful wearing this this. (The other outfit made me feel great.)

But it was fairly comfortable to wear, even if the skirt was very long. I love the scarf. I wish I could keep that, but again, where would I wear it. I think it's the skirt I don't like. The gold around my waist. Anything which draws attention to my waist should not be there. But when you're dressing for something you've never been to before, it's going to be a strange thing. 

Then getting to the wedding and finding everybody in gorgeous, muted colours. I just felt wrong.

I wore Western dress to the cocktail party the night before the wedding. I was more comfortable then. A little blue number. Easy. Though I was one of the few people wearing Western dress. Raj said he was wearing a suit. I followed his lead, much to the mother of the bride's disdain. I turned up to the turmeric ceremony in Western casual - my normal Melbourne black. The bride's mum had a bit to say about this as well. 

Some said I should have waited and bought the outfit in India when I got there. But I really didn't have the time. Or the knowledge of the town - and Delhi is a hard place to navigate at the best of times. 

I also had bangles to go with it - an arm full of bangles. They got sold off a the Camberwell Market. 

Anyway, with a bit of luck, the lehenga will find a new home. I am releasing it with love.

And if anybody wants it, I'm selling it for $60. Give me a bell. Would fit somebody between a size 18 and 22. It's been worn once and is in great nick. Go on, you know you want to. 

Today's song:

No comments: