Monday, September 6, 2021

The Desk

I've been pondering turning my spare room into an office. 

There are pros and cons to this thought. 

Pro:

  • I'd have a designated work area
  • I'd not be working in the lounge room. 
  • I could shut the door on work at the end of the day.
  • It would force me to clean up the spare room
  • and keep it clean. 
  • And work will chip in $500 for the set up. 
Cons: 
  • I'd be forced to clean up the spare room
  • And keep it clean
  • And if I have overnight guests, where would I put them (saying that, when was the last time I had an overnight guest? Years ago...)
  • There's no heating or cooling in the room
  • It's not a big room and there is a lot of junk in there already.
  • And there would be less room to dry clothes when required. 
  • Powerpoints are at a minimum - would mean buying more powerboards. 
  • And where will the Hemingway chair go when I'm finally allowed to collect it? 
Because of the work I do, I need a deeper desk, independent monitor and space for the laptop, so I need a desk at least 80 centimetres. Then there's all the peripherals - new keyboard, mouse, monitor and stand, mat for under the floor to protect the floorboards. It's also a lighter room than what I'm working in now. At least in the lounge there's black out curtains for when it gets too bright. I'm a bit of a vampire when it comes to full sunlight. 

I think it's just more argy-bargy I don't want to think about at the moment. 

Maybe if I give the spare room a good clean out I could see what happens. But I think a clean out would have to happen first before even contemplating buying office furniture. And it's not in too bad a state. The wardrobe needs a going through. It is the place where shoes go to die. And errant paperwork. And as we are still in this never ending lockdown, I supposedly have time. 

Mind you, I like where my work desk sits here. I'm by a window. The cat can come and keep me company on the windowsill. And the room has heating and cooling. And a place to walk around, which the spare room, if there's a desk and a Hemingway Chair. And the telly keeps me company. I'm not great working in silence. I was the kid who did her homework at the dining room table and I like having background noise on when I work. 

I don't normally dither over decisions. 

This one might take a bit more thought. 

Today's song:

No comments: