Thursday, September 5, 2024

Adelaide Bound

 Returning to Adelaide always brings a strange gamut of emotions. The first one being that of despair in that I’ve left my cat at Blarney’s place while I’m away. All is fine. He will sit in the cupboard and sulk. He’s been fed and interacted with. He will be fine.

The second emotion is instead of hopelessness I’m not sure I want to be Adelaide. I’m here for a Freemasons convention of all things. Our weekend of riding the goat. It will be delightful, but I see myself being peopled out by the middle of the afternoon. I have bought my sparkly notebook so that I can start planning out a novel. I’ve had the idea for this for awhile. The Ladies of Gilgamesh Lodge. I think spending three days with a mob of lady Freemasons will me ample fodder for situations and characters. What is the collective noun for Freemasons? A conclave? A herd? A parliament? 

The next feeling that comes to mind is abandonment, if that’s a feeling. For the last 25 years coming back to Adelaide seeing my family. This trip I am not seeing my family. This trip, I really should go down and see my family. My parents have bought a new house in Victor Harbour and I’m moving out of the family after 30 years. Because I am going to be stuck in a convention for the next three days, I will not have an opportunity to drive the 100 km down to Victor Harbor to see them.

I am also feeling a little bit of resentment. When I was setting my out of office on my work email, the last time I took a scheduled day off that wasn’t a public holiday or Me being ill, was in January. I have three days off, I am in Adelaide and my time is not my own. But fight has built me a good hand. I’ve found that I have under packed and need to go shopping. I will be making a break for it at some stage to go down Jetty Road to find something to wear for dinner tomorrow night. If I am really daring, I will also go for a walk down to the end of the jetty. This is where I was born and raised, it feels strange not to do that.

It is raining. Just how I like any city.

Regardless, I am now in Adelaide city of my birth, place that I escaped from in 1991 and never looked back.

I’m always going to have mixed feelings about this place.


Today's song:



No comments: