Tuesday, September 17, 2024

My Favourite Darwin

 I woke to the patter of rain on my balcony. 

It's September. It's not supposed to be raining. 

On getting out of bed, I looked out of the window. The sky was oppressive. Making my protein shake, I went outside on the balcony, to see what the sunrise was doing. It was too dark for a proper Darwin sunrise, where the sun rises out from the North like a glowing red ball. There was none of that today, just an dreary, overcast sky threatening rain. 

Like most good Australians, I went to my phone to check out the Bureau of Meteorology app to see what was really happening. I wonder if other countries have a BOM app like us? Anyway, checking the weather it appears we got 60 millimetres of rain over night. 

60 millimetres of rain is about the average rain Melbourne gets for the month of April.

I can't compute the amount of rain this place gets. 

Regardless, as I was driving out to the depot with some workmates when it started to rain. The windscreen wipers were screeching against the glass. 

"Think they better be looked at next service," said my colleague.

"They haven't been used for many months. The rubber has probably degraded. I'll let our admin know."

There were puddles. 

It was relatively cool. Like 23 degrees, which is positively Antarctic for Darwin. 

The locals had their puffer jackets and cardigans on and where whinging about the cold. 

It's all relative. If you're used to it not getting below 25 degrees, I suppose it would feel cold. 

Regardless, after a day in the office where I barely rose from my chair, I left at 5 pm, to find it sunny and warm - not hot. 

Later, as I strolled down to Coles to pick up a few supplies, there was a breeze. 

25 degrees, with a breeze walking the city streets at sunset. Balmy, but not too humid. 

The streets were quiet. not that the Darwin Festival has finished, it'd gone back to it's normal, sleepy self. 

And this is my favourite Darwin. 

Today's song:



No comments: