Monday, November 16, 2020

Going home for Christmas

 I got the call yesterday. I expect a call on Sunday from my Mother. We talk most weekends. This is how she knew I was alive before Facebook came about. 

Mum: So, are you coming home for Christmas?

Pandora: I don't know.

To be honest, I really hadn't thought about going back for Christmas, after all, the borders have been shut for months, there is talk that they're going to open them up on 1 December. Besides, I normally have Christmas in Melbourne, spending it with friends. This year, I have two weeks off. I have the time to drive over - even if it is a nine hour drive. I haven't been home for Christmas since 2015 - and I had to go back then as my niece has passed away and really was the done thing. Since then, I've avoided Christmas with the family, returning, instead, in early February for Mum's party. 

Anyway, the conversation continued. 

Mum: Well, you should come home. You have your own studio room you can stay in. 

Pandora: I know this. 

Mum: And it gives us a reason to fix the holes in the walls?

Pandora: Eh?

Mum: Oh, Anne, she put all this crap up on the walls, there were lots of nails that needed to be pulled out. 

After 25 years in the same place, my parents have converted a shed into an air conditioned, insulated granny flat, complete with bathroom, kitchenette and bedroom. This was done, mostly in the name of helping a family member in need. She came and stayed for a few weeks before returning to from where she once came. So, Mum has a place for guests. The next door neighbour is also happy he can have mates come to stay as he has limited space. We treat him like family, so there's unusual new there. 

Pandora: And what am I going to do with my cat?

Mum: (Without drawing breath) BRING HIM WITH YOU!

It seems Mum wants to get her hands on Lucifer. I'm not sure what the cat will think of an eight hour drive across the Wimmera. I'm not sure what he will think of staying with my mother for a few days, but I am sure he will love sitting at her picture window in the kitchen telling off the birds and antichinuses. Maybe not meeting the family so much, but I can see him prowling about, sleeping on my mother's bed and taking over the place. 

So I've been having a look at a few things. I've been looking up online pet friendly accommodation in places like Nhill, Horsham and Kaniva. Thought is, drive halfway to Adelaide, stay the night, then drive the rest of the way the next morning. It's a nine hour drive - a bit much for puss if he's in his carrier. 

And then the news comes this morning - Adelaide has 17 new community acquired Corona cases. 

So until we find out what is happening with the borders, I really can't make plans. 

Hopefully they will knock this on the head quickly.

I'm just waiting for the the Murdoch gutter press to start blaming this on Dan Andrews...

Once we know what's going on, then, maybe, we can start to plan. 


Today's Song:



No comments: