Friday, November 27, 2020

Hampers

We had a team lunch today. It was held at the restaurant where we have book group. Other than a few tweaks to the menu it was lovely to be back here, and great to be with my team for lunch. When we got there, we were presented with a hamper each, which our manager had sent down, seeing she should make it as she's located in Sydney. This was a lovely thought.

But I have to admit, I don't get hampers. Never have. I do think they're a really nice thought, but I don't get the why of them. Maybe it's because I live on my own and I don't have a need for food, especially food I don't buy for myself. Maybe it's you always end up with really strange stuff, or odd stuff, or just stuff you'd never think of buying. They always have odd combinations of food. 

In today's missive there was:

  • A small bag of lollies
  • Some soy crisps
  • Two very, very small double choc chip shortbread biscuits
  • A box of sesame barbeque kri kri peanuts
  • And some tea leaves, enough to make one cup of tea.
I am not complaining about this gift - it was lovely of the boss to think of us like this  - but it just seems like a lot of effort for a hell of a lot of packaging. 

Working for corporates, I've done well with the corporate gifts over the years. A bottle of Moet was handed over at one job. A bottle of Veuve Cliquot came with another. Nice alcohol.  Made a difference from the normal water bottles, coffee mugs and ear buds you often get for a corporate gift. 

But I'm still bemused by hampers. We got one for my colleague when he was in hospital. The company, Snowgoose, does a lot of fresh fruit in with their packages, which are boxed up in a wooden box. My practical side says what do you do with the crate afterwards - and what would I do with all that fruit, seeing that I don't really eat the stuff (unless it's mangos or strawberries). I like to be practical about these things. 

The best thing about the hamper - the cat loves the box it came in. 

Hampers  just don't make much sense to me. But they are a nice thought. 

Today's Song:



No comments: