Saturday, June 18, 2016

Blog a Day June: 15 Minutes Left

Okay, just back from the MTC production of "Straight White Men".

I rather like it. A play about existential angst and white privilege. It didn't really have a point, but the four characters on stage for the 90 minutes of the production were very watchable and got the family dynamics down perfectly.

I also loved the stage hand character who tormented the audience with very loud jungle music on the way in - so loud you wanted to talk to the ushers about having the noise turned down.

Imagine hearing this at 80 decibels when you go into a theatre:


The play wasn't universally liked amongst the group I was with, but it gave me some things to think about. Me, I got some good giggles out of it, but I'm still thinking about the existential angst of the straight white man.

However, I come away asking:
  • What do straight white men aspire to now they appear to think they've taken over the world?
  • Is there really a game called Privilege, that is a lot like Monopoly, just with a social edge?
  • What happens when white men appear to fail?
  • Do brothers still bash each other up even when they're in their 30s?
  • How come white men can't dance?
Okay, on that last point, I should say White Men other than Tom Hiddleston.



Okay, eight minutes to go.

I now have to get some more of my book group book read for Tuesday.

But the blog is done.

You can't see the play, it was the final night tonight.

No comments: