Monday, November 23, 2020

Booking Travel for Two

I booked some accommodation today. A foreign feeling as the last time I went out of Melbourne was in March. The furthest I've been from home since March is down to Jonella's place in Mordialloc. 

But today I booked accommodation. A night in a cabin at a caravan park in Horsham, halfway between Melbourne and Adelaide. It's not costing me that much. A decent dinner with wine would be more expensive.

Normally, if I was driving to Adelaide, I'd drive all the way there in a day. 

But as I will be travelling with a black cat called Lucifer, it seems a good thing to stop after four hours and let both of us have a rest before travelling onto Adelaide the following morning. 

If I was only going for a long weekend, flying over and flying back, I'd leave him with a friend. 

But as I'll be gone for a week, driving the Western Highway all the way home to South Australia, and as my mother is adamant about this next point, the cat is coming with me.

It will mean having to take things like a litter box, cat food, cat toys, his rechargeable laser pointer, cat treats, his Harvey Norman bag, his bed blanket, his chasy stick and Nemo. 

Basically, I'll be taking more cat shit with me than my shit. 

All so he can go and stay with Nanna for a few days. At the insistance of my mother who wants a cat but won't get one. Something about travelling too much and she's getting to old. So she borrows them. And it's my turn to supply the animal. 

I now know how parents feel when they go on holiday.

I also find it funny that my Mum is more excited about having the cat come and stay than having me come home. It's only been five years since I've been home for Christmas. The last time I went to Adelaide for the stupid season was five years ago - my niece had just died. I had to be there.  

Talking of cats coming to stay, I'm taking in a friend's two black kittens in a few weeks - just for three days. The kittens, named Wink (who has one eye) and Shadow (who has two eyes) look like Lucifer's spawn. How Lucifer is going to take this is beyond me, but I've already giving him the nickname of Uncle Grumpy. 

He's going to have to get used to some upheavals, is the cat. Kittens (for a few days), a big trip to Adelaide - most of which will have him in his cat carrier on the drive over. Spending time at Nanna's house. 

It's all very stressful. But I'm confident he'll take it in his stride.

I now know why I travel alone. 

But it was nice making a travel booking once again. 


Today's song:



No comments: